DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, Bill here. I live in Mexico City and just went to an "EV Expo"here. Not real impressive, 2 bugs, 1 fiberglass bug conversion, and an older Nissan, but a start. I am starting my project today, a 1976 VW Brasillia (kind of like a type 3 squareback). The car has a curb weight of 1960#, a 1,600 engine and 4 speed trans. I am planning on a D&D ES31B motor with 40 100A Lithium cells, and hope to get 50 mile range at 50 mph, Mostly flat driving in the city. I'd like to know if anyone can help me with an adaptor plate and coupler drawing with dimensions for a basic air cooled VW? This is my first project of this kind and I hope to complete a complete restoration and conversion in 2 months. I have basic mechanical skills (brakes, shocks, clutch) but will have a commercial electrician to help me with the electrical hook ups (we should be able to figure it out with a schematic, RIGHT?) Anyway if I can find an adaptor plate drawing and dimensions then I don't have to re-invent the wheel. Thanks to everyone for all the information available here and best wishes to all and will post photos and progress. bill Raymond

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Welcome. The Brazallia is an excellent choice if it is a clean car. Restoration of rusty cars are expensive and difficult. I would suggest you not use the D&D motor. If you can get your hands on a decent used Warp9 you will be far better off. With the DC setup you also need a good controller. Nothing less than 600 amps output. You will need a good charger as well. I would also suggest you just purchase a good adapter as it usually costs less than making your own. Don't get a cheap adapter.

I would suggest you look into putting a good AC motor and controller. A good brand is from HPEVS. These include a matching controller to go with the motor. A good AC-51 good for 144 volts and 500 amps. With AC and this setup 500 amps will do just fine.

VWs make very good conversions.

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Pete, Thanks for your observations. The reason for the DC system is simplicity for the first conversion. The problem I have is availability. I have found a company in another State here in Mexico which has that type of motor, various types of controllers, and most everything I need, including batteries, to complete the conversion with good availability. Otherwise I have to buy from suppliers in the states, and then arrange for international shipping, importation and customs duties, ( a BIG problem and a lot of time for me). The place here(in Mexico) is kind of a one stop EV shopping place where I pay a mark up and sales tax, and it's all legal and I don't have all the problems, and the owner is a nice guy who is inclined to be helpful.
Day one completed and we have about 1/3 of the paint stripped, engine out, shocks off, brakes off, interior out, and replacement shocks, brakes, and bearings ordered for tomorrow or Wed. Hopefully finish paint removal tomorrow and get the body off the frame, then we can start dealing with the areas of rust. planning to cut-em out and do a proper repair. Yea it does take time, but I hope if it is done right the car will hold it's new value as a completely restored EV conversion.
In regards to adaptors what is a "cheap one"? I have found several suppliers in the states and they all cost around the same. then I still have to arrange shipping and importation/customs duties, that's why I was thinking I can get one machined here for less if I can get a drawing with specs. any ideas, we'll have the trans out tomorrow or Wed to start making templates, and maybe go from there. Will keep you advised.
All the best, bill

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Build your own adapter is totally feasible and a good idea if you have access at a machine shop at good price.
The most important and the hardest part is to have the motor shaft perfectly align with the transmission shaft.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-motor-mount-thread-65986.html

And I second Pete, stay away from D&D motor if you can. A Impulse 9, a Warp 9, an ADC 9 or even a used forklift 9'' motor can do a better job (with minor modif).
The D&D are smaller and lighter and for this reason they are less efficient under load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yabert, I had already searched that thread, but didn't find anything specific for a 1,600 beetle application. I do have access to a machine shop, but I will have to provide drawings and specs, that's why I was hoping someone would have a generic design I could use.
Wow, sounds like the option I have is not the best by any means. Will the D&D work with a less than 2,000 lb vehicle? as I explained, I just don't have the access to everything that you guys have. I fear I will have to do what I can with what I can get, unless you tell me to STOP! Don't waste your money, and I will have to look for another source and adjust my time frame and budget.
Appreciate very much your input and your experience.
Thanks, bill

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I understand your plight but stay far away from the motor you mentioned. I'm assuming it comes with a controller and such but the specs for that motor would be fine for a golf cart.

STOP.

Step back and assess the issue. I had a similar learning curve.

Minimum for a full bodied VW and a DC system should be at least a 9" diameter motor. Examples are Warp9, Warp9 Impulse, 9" GE or similar but stay away from D&D motors. A controller at this time will be an issue. There are a few choices but most have just stopped producing them because it's not really a money maker and sales are rather slow. Paul and Sabrina controller kits are available and include help. You will want at least a 120 volt system. More is better if your controller will handle that. Mine is 192 volts. Before you buy any thing, ask us, not just the person selling the components. There are still a few scammers and those more than willing to sell you something you will not enjoy or is just not suitable. Your car of choice is great.

You don't want to build your vehicle to only do minimal performance. You will be rather disappointed.

My first official conversion was a 64 Ghia. I found a nice 9" GE motor that had a built in adapter plate that allowed me to utilize the stock pressure plate and clutch. In the VW you want this. My first controller was an old Golf Tech controller that was a 62 volt 550 amp controller. That only allowed a max top speed of 65 mph but from 40 mph up it was rather slow. It did work but not at all what I had expected. I made do until I was able to get a better controller. Then I was able to boost to 96 volts. Wow, what a difference. Top speed ended up at around 85 mph but from 65 up it was slow due to a low voltage system. But up to 65 it was great. Never did push more than 96 volts through that motor. I should have done 156 volts but I too have money limitations.

Buy a good adapter designed for the VW and one that lets you use your pressure plate and clutch. Check out EVWest, Thunderstruck Motors.

Build it right from the start. Yes it will cost more but if you are good at sourcing parts you can do a decent one on a budget.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/471

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
D&D Motor Systems - ES-31B
Weight: 83.0 lbs
D&D Motor Systems 72-144 Volts, 18hp, Single Shaft
ES-31B (Similar to ADC #X91-4001)
12hp Cont @ 96 Volts
1.125" Diameter 3" long Single Shaft (double shaft option) Keyway length 2.50
6.7" Diameter x 15.05" long Casing
Peak Horsepower Rating = 49 HP
This Motor is good for Small Sized Electric Vehicle Conversions
The efficiency RPM on this motor is about 110 RPM/Volt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Pete, another option available from the same company here in Mexico is a Molten energy ME 1002. This is a 10" motor for a larger vehicle. Can I trouble you for an opinion? If that is a viable choice, I can then look for a suitable controller, battery pack, etc. I would have to check on the adapter from the sources you mentioned to see if they can help with international shipping and customs, and lead time. Maybe FedEx or DHL would work for a small not too heavy item.
bill

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
The ME 1002 is a much better motor than the D&D motor. I don't know the bolt pattern but believe it is the same as the standard Warp9 motors so the standard adapters should do just fine.

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/vw-adapter-kit.html

I have one of these and believe they work with the ME 1002. It is a taper lock system and will hold solidly and you can't beat the price. I don't think you could build one as good for less. Allows for using your stock flywheel and clutch

·
Registered
324 Posts
You might consider trying to buy a used "kit" from the US. I don't know for sure, but I believe that having it used gets you out of most of the import duties? It might even make sense to find a whole car and think of it as a "rolling shipping crate." I don't know what vehicle shipping is like to Mexico, but here in the US it can end up being pretty reasonable compared to other kinds of freight. You could probably even sell the empty vehicle to make up some of the shipping cost.

Its not uncommon to find EV projects that are being sold off for various reasons at a fraction of the cost of new parts. Of course buying used you may find some parts you need to replace or rebuild, but probably still well ahead of the game.

Here's a current example in the LA area (no relation to seller, just an example):
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172842

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts