DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.Hello everyone I am new to the ev world and have been doing a lot of reading but I have some questions I have not found the answers for.

I want to make a hybrid car. I have an Audi TT 225 Quattro and have been playing with the idea of removing the rear drive shaft and haldex system (and tune out the haldex from the ecu) to replace it with an electric motor. So my questions are:

I know that the warp 9 hv goes up to 5000rpm but I would like to mount it driectly to the rear diff so is there is a way to rev it higher safely?

Since its going to be a hybrid will 1 warp 9 be enough for the load (about 3000lb) or should I go with 2?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello brian_ and thanks for your reply. My plan is to race the car and yes the rear diff ratio is 1 to 1. Sorry if i sound like an oximorron (dont know much about transmissions or gear ratios) but my thinking was that both the gas engine and the electric motor should be able to rev to the same range am I wrong?

And currently my car's weight is 2900lb with me in it (the car is mostly gutted on the inside) but I know I can take at least another 160lb out of the inside and that is before I get Lexan windows. On top of that there is some stuff in the engine I dont really need that is also coming out in the near future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, then what about scratching the use of the 1.8t from the car and instead using the just 1 electric motor maybe the warp 11 and a small motorcicle engine (maybe 125cc) to run an altrenerator? (To charge the batteries)
Good or bad idea?
How big of a battery pack would ineed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok what about this. I believe what i imagine is not a series hybrid (or maybe i am but i misunderstood) what i was thinking was build a fully electric vehicle with batteries (for canyon riding/ track use) and have a small engine runing to charge the batteries constantly to extend range. Therefore the main sourse of power would be the batteries being charged at home and the 125cc (or maybe an actual 240v gas generator) in the car is being used to keep the batteries charged therefore extending range (I have also though of making a solar/pv roof of the car). Would this be more efficient? Or am I describing a series hybrid system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see, so it would be better to scratch the gas motor altogether and just have a bigger battery pack to have the extra range. Any tips or suggestions? My goal now is a fun daily driver that can be taken to the track.
So far i think the warp 11 conected to the stock transmission is my best bet but as far as controllers go im lost. I've been looking into them not really knowing what i need. I see they range between $1600 all the way to $12,000 😱 and i've read that the controller is where you dont want to be cheap but looking at thouse numbers kinda makes me fell like i should just build the existing 1.8t.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.