DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are going to start supplying an open PCB style DC to DC converter at www.ampahaulic.com

Specs include.....
Input range 180 VDC to 700 VDC.
Maximum input current 10 amps.
Bus load with control circuit off, 90 K-Ohms.
Input capacitance 80 uF maximum.

Control "ignition" input voltage range 10 to 28 VDC
Current drawn by control lead < 150 mA

Output voltage 13.8 volts DC +/- 5%
Output current 100 amps maximum
Output protection auto-reset electronic current limit
Guaranteed to survive output short circuit but fuse may blow if resulting input current draws down input voltage.

PCBA operating temperature range -40 to +70 C
Cooling water temperature range -20 to +80 C at outlet.
(Minimum inlet temperature depends on flow rate.)
Input protection non-resettable fuse. (Excess voltage or reverse polarity may damage unit.)
(and if anybody would want to they can be paralleled along common input and output bus bars for increments of 100 amps.

Prototype unit is being put into Assault n Battery (see the Build thread) and we will judge its performance to drive headlight/brights/brakes and foglights while driving and cranking the bass. We will let you know how it goes.

If someone is real keen to start distributing these please let me know. 979-665-5621
Target Retail Price should be around $1000

John Metric

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was excited until I saw the price. Evnetics indicated possible unit at 50% of this price and was built to full UL specs.

Ok....I looked up the thread and the output was also 50% of your claimed, so pricing seems ok. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/evnetics-developing-dc-dc-converter-72862.html

Is your unit open as shown or is it enclosed and designed to meet the UL specs (even if you don't go to the trouble of submitting for formal approval).

edit: nevermind...I see the answer in your first sentence.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, $1000 is way too steep. $300-$500 is more reasonable.

corbin
Yeah that would be awesome, 100 amp unit for $300.

Do you see any comparable units to this around 100amps >400VDC input?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah that would be awesome, 100 amp unit for $300.

Do you see any comparable units to this around 100amps >400VDC input?
What is the major expensive component in your build that will make it cost $1000?

How many people will need a 100amp unit at >400 VDC?

But yes, a comparable unit:
http://www.belktronix.com/isodcdc.html

You could buy three of those things for 100amp output at 385V. Not over 400VDC like you stated...but pretty close, and Bryan might be able to make it for over 400VDC if that was desired (for probably a slight price increase). The cost would be $600 for two of the Belktronix DC-DC converts.

Don't get me wrong... I think it is great that you are developing this! I would just love to see the price be better than $1000. I mean..you can build a DIY charger for less than that.

-corbin

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could buy three of those things for 100amp output at 385V.
The cost would be $600 for two of the Belktronix DC-DC converts.
-corbin
????
3X$300=$900
$300 is for the <=156V belk unit
$375 for the <=350V belk unit
3X$375=$1125 AND it doesn't meet my specs of up to 700VDC input for those high voltage AC applications. and changing from 350VDC isolation on board to 700VDC isolation is not a quick or cheap change....
let me know if you find anything comparable...

Typical alternators are 100amps nowadays....it's pretty common.

·
Registered
405 Posts
????
3X$300=$900
$300 is for the <=156V belk unit
$375 for the <=350V belk unit
3X$375=$1125 AND it doesn't meet my specs of up to 700VDC input for those high voltage AC applications. and changing from 350VDC isolation on board to 700VDC isolation is not a quick or cheap change....
let me know if you find anything comparable...

Typical alternators are 100amps nowadays....it's pretty common.
I'm not sure what your ??? is all about. I can help you with the math; the Belktronix one puts out 675w, at 13.5v that's 50amps. Two of those things meets 100amps, and at $300/each that is $600 -- way cheaper of an option for up to 385V. Sure, it doesn't meet your spec of "above 400V", but it is pretty close. My point about 3 was even with 3 it would still be cheaper than $1000; sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

I think you are taking offense to me saying that $1000 is too much to pay for a DC-DC converter. I still think it is too much! I don't think you will have too many buyers at that price. Plus, it doesn't even have a case! I also stand by my original question: what is the major component in it that makes it so expensive that you need to charge that much?

--corbin

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think you will have too many buyers at that price.
--corbin
Targets the AC drive market with the 600VDC packs.
Market is what someone will pay. I haven't found anything comparable. Keep looking though. Already have had two AC people PM me about specs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts