DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m new to this side of the automotive world. At the moment I’m planning a mod to my old diesel truck to run a 24 volt along side the 12 volt system. The 24 volt alternator/system will power a high kw inverter to power/charge things.
Will I have problems if the 24 dc volt and 12 volt system shares the same ground?
also looking for recommendations for a universal 24 volt alternator and an inverter that can hook up to it and supply at least 10kw of ac.

·
Registered
916 Posts
So this not an EV, right?

The ex-Hummer military alts are high power @24V nominal.

Just be aware sucks up the horses, pretty high idle speed to get kWs of power

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello, I’m new to this side of the automotive world. At the moment I’m planning a mod to my old diesel truck to run a 24 volt along side the 12 volt system. The 24 volt alternator/system will power a high kw inverter to power/charge things.
Will I have problems if the 24 dc volt and 12 volt system shares the same ground?
also looking for recommendations for a universal 24 volt alternator and an inverter that can hook up to it and supply at least 10kw of ac.
The Canadian army reserve has militarized diesel Chevy 3/4 tonne trucks which have a 12V and 24V system. The 24V is for radios and jump starting 24V equipment. Been a while since I looked closely at them. Sharing a ground shouldn't be an issue. The "Milverados" work reasonably well, though early on I recall there were some fires...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts