DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a schematic to convert my tail lights to LED's. the problem is, in normal operation, theres a dual filament bulb. So when the lights are on and I hit the brakes it gets brighter, that same second filament also flashes for turn signal.

The only way I can think of is to do a separate series for the turn signals and brakes than the driving lights.

Is there a way I can have one series that stays constant with lights on, than becomes brighter when I hit the brakes and also flashes when I hit the signal?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
the motorcycle and hot rod guys have been doing this for years. just go and get the correct conversion bulb in whatever color you wish. you may need a resistor or different flasher since the lights draw so much less. have fun

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm building a schematic to convert my tail lights to LED's. the problem is, in normal operation, theres a dual filament bulb. So when the lights are on and I hit the brakes it gets brighter, that same second filament also flashes for turn signal.

The only way I can think of is to do a separate series for the turn signals and brakes than the driving lights.

Is there a way I can have one series that stays constant with lights on, than becomes brighter when I hit the brakes and also flashes when I hit the signal?
There are direct replacement two circuit LED lights for the 1134 dual filiment stop/tail bulbs that can be found online. Some will need a special flasher. Some others (expensive) have internal circuits to allow the turn to flash with a standard flasher.

One nice thing about LED stops is they react and light up faster. This give the guy behind a bit of extra time to stop. I think it works out to the equivalent of having 3 extra feet for every 10 mph.

You could look ino the replacement 4 inch round standard size LED sets that the truckers are using to replace that standard light unit. The ones I see around here seem to have one set of LEDs and two brightnesses. You might be able to retrofit the internals into your lights

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to go down that route. They dont work very well and the light doesn't disperse very well.

If i add a resistor will the stock flasher relay flash the led's?

·
Registered
506 Posts
And I want to do it the right way not the hacked rigged way
I'm a little lost with your answers, you start out saying you want to replace your lights with led's, I point you to a site giving you a choice of led replacements, and recommended an electronic flasher, which btw is an exact replacement for a bitmetal flasher and works better the the oem, cause it doesnt have to rely on x amount of load to flash.

Whats the point of led's, if your going to load them with resistance equal to regular filament ones ???

Roy

·
Registered
333 Posts
jmoney6,

I put LED's in all my signal/brake/park lights and they work great! instant on, instant off. I also used the electronic flasher and I'm very happy with it. I got all the bulbs from superbrightleds.com. I have both 1156 and 1157 type bulbs in my lighting. They were a direct replacement for the original filament bulbs. Yup, it costs a few bucks more than filament, but in my jeep the LED's will last a lot longer.

All the bulbs I installed were colored to match the lens they were behind. My tail lights are all red, front turn signals and park lights are all yellow. I got the wide angle ones with about 19 lights per bulb. They work great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts