DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt at using an electric motor to power a device. My project is redesigning a riding lawnmower to be powered with a 12V dc winch motor. It‘s purpose is to move my meat smoker for short intervals around my property. My problem is with speed control, I have none. These motors have 3 posts, f1, f2, and A. I have tried 2 different ESC’s they both have identical post connections, batt+, M,M, and batt-. When I connect a 12volt battery to the proper terminals and connect from M terminal to one of the motors F terminals, and with a jumper between the remaining f terminal and the A terminal the motor will operate but only at one speed, it makes no difference when I rotate the pot dial. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
f1, f2, A generally means seperated field motor with an internal connection or case ground. Your esc is series dc which isn't powering the fields. Resistance measure the A post to ground to see if it is connected, note the resistance. Measure the resistance between f1, f2 [ normally called field windings] and then each one to ground ( youre there and it's a quick check to see if wiring is shorted or if the f1,f2 posts are for reversing) If the fields are the more or less the same resistance as the armature you can externally connect a field post to armature and have a series motor after connecting the ESC M to the remaining posts. If it spins backward, swap the F Post connected to the A post to the other F Post

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
f1, f2, A generally means seperated field motor with an internal connection or case ground. Your esc is series dc which isn't powering the fields. Resistance measure the A post to ground to see if it is connected, note the resistance. Measure the resistance between f1, f2 [ normally called field windings] and then each one to ground ( youre there and it's a quick check to see if wiring is shorted or if the f1,f2 posts are for reversing) If the fields are the more or less the same resistance as the armature you can externally connect a field post to armature and have a series motor after connecting the ESC M to the remaining posts. If it spins backward, swap the F Post connected to the A post to the other F Post
Thanks for the response and information, I will give your suggestions a try and let you know the results. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts