DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light Blue Wood Electric blue Adapter
Attempting to couple this 12v motor to this vw power steering pump. Any pics or advice on this being done. The bus drives fine without power steering except when backing into driveway and parallel parking. Would love to have selective ps at a button.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Use something like this instead. it'll hook straight into a power steering rack, maybe some custom hoses or something

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
It’s an electric scooter motor. Actually pretty strong. It moved me around well. This power steering pump moves with very little resistance. I’ve tested in in situ with mocked up pully In a running gas van. Works well.
The pump turns with little resistance when it's empty or pumping fluid in an unrestricted loop, so that doesn't indicate the required drive torque in use. When it's operating, the control valve in the steering rack regulates the pressure, which can get very high; the motor driving the pump has some real work to do when steering, especially at low road speed and high rate of steering movement. But if it actually steered the wheels of the van well, you're in good shape. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you want the pump motor to run constantly or only on demand?

what speed does that pump need to rotate at to make the pressure you desire?
what speed does that motor rotate at?
The pump turns with little resistance when it's empty or pumping fluid in an unrestricted loop, so that doesn't indicate the required drive torque in use. When it's operating, the control valve in the steering rack regulates the pressure, which can get very high; the motor driving the pump has some real work to do when steering, especially at low road speed and high rate of steering movement. But if it actually steered the wheels of the van well, you're in good shape. :)
Yes this motor is sufficiently powerful for this vw bus’s power steering pressure. Even at full clock. I was wondering about coupling it to the pump.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Belt or chain drive, if you must. Tiny pulley/sprocket on the pump end.

So much simpler to use an electric oem PS pump.
Tell me more about this Oem ps pump. Do you have a link? My habit is to use what I have in the yard.
But I wanted to couple this motor to pump, from shaft to shaft. With a bracket connecting pump to motor. But basically pump and motor directly facing each other. Like coupler between Ev motor and transmission.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I doubt you have the motor torque to direct drive the pump, but I guess you can try.

Opel Astra or early 2000's Volvo run constantly in failsafe mode. There are threads here about people wanting to go beyond full-on, but it sounds like you don't care.

Just supply 12V and do the plumbing

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
It has to keep up with the flow of a sudden lane change...you're f*cking with safety here, not merely adding luxury or convenience.

A loss of assist in an emergency lane change because you used an inadequate scooter motor can be enough distraction to kill the driver (who may not be you) or someone else in another vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tell me more about this Oem ps pump. Do you have a link?
I gave you a link to an ebay page in my previous reply. Remy has mentioned the Astra/Opel pump, as well as the Volvo pump. I have a PS pump from a Mazda 3 here, that looks just like the Astra pump. Surely this is enough for you to do some internet research? You can find general prices of them, call some wreckers who might have one, find some forum threads about what people did to install and get them running.

No such thing as hand holding in the diy scene and please make sure you keep saftey related systems safe. That little motor is asking to cause problems, and it'll be at the worst times when it does.

·
Registered
1969 Beetle & 1971 Super Beetle
2 Posts
I gave you a link to an ebay page in my previous reply. Remy has mentioned the Astra/Opel pump, as well as the Volvo pump. I have a PS pump from a Mazda 3 here, that looks just like the Astra pump. Surely this is enough for you to do some internet research? You can find general prices of them, call some wreckers who might have one, find some forum threads about what people did to install and get them running.

No such thing as hand holding in the diy scene and please make sure you keep saftey related systems safe. That little motor is asking to cause problems, and it'll be at the worst times when it does.
Prius uses a stand alone power steering with a small motor right on the column. Only two wires. Just replace the entire column.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I think this little motor will be fine. Problems? If it works fine without power steering, whatever could you mean by problems???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has to keep up with the flow of a sudden lane change...you're f*cking with safety here, not merely adding luxury or convenience.

A loss of assist in an emergency lane change because you used an inadequate scooter motor can be enough distraction to kill the driver (who may not be you) or someone else in another vehicle.
Ok. I’m asking for advice in the wrong place. I’ve put 600 miles on this ev. Amazing machine. Works fine without power steering. I was just looking for advice on refinement. Safety shaming? No need here. Lane change? Ha. Ps isn’t needed for lane change. Thanks for nothing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think this little motor will be fine. Problems? If it works fine without power steering, whatever could you mean by problems???
[/QUOTE
Hand holding? Are you trying to be insulting or does it come naturally? I did this entire conversion solo. Without help or hand from you. If you can’t help with the question I asked please keep quiet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts