DIY Electric Car Forums banner

144V controllers

21262 Views 33 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  frodus
Hello everyone,

I am looking for 144V controllers and I was wondering what my options were.
I will most likely use the ADC FBI motor at 144V.
Thanks
Andre
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am looking for 144V controllers and I was wondering what my options were.
I will most likely use the ADC FBI motor at 144V.
Thanks
Andre
Hi Xanerrix, i guess it depends on $, im using Curtis 1231 with a Warp11 at 144V, not all together yet so i cant tell you much more.

· Registered
372 Posts
Hmmm... For some reason I thought the 1231 was only rated for 120V.

Either way- If you can find one a DC Power Systems Raptor (either the 600 or the 1200) will probably serve you well. I guess the 1200 would be more desirable, as the 600 has been known to self-destruct (I haven't had any problems with mine yet though).

And of course you can never go wrong with a Zilla!

· Registered
63 Posts
Zilla has a pretty decent wait time. If you are going to do that make sure you plan ahead and order it ASAP.

I spoke to the people at Cafe Electronics and they said the Zilla 1k LV had about a 6 month lead time, and is rated to 156v. the Zilla 1K HV has a shorter lead time and is rated to 300v.

The Curtis #1231C-8601 is rated up to 144v.

I am planning on using a Zilla, just for all the nifty features, let alone it is supposed to be a better controller. Don't forget the Zilla does need to be liquid cooled.

· Registered
931 Posts
What about Zapi - are they still making controllers? They had a fairly popular 600A DC controller with Regen braking built in.
May be a myth but the word about town is that anyone and everyone who used Zapi's regen braking subsequently had major controller problems.

· Registered
208 Posts
I use the Belktronix 144V 500A system.
http://belktronix.com/

It's for people on a budget.
For $2250 you get:
(1) 144VDC, 500A DC Motor Controller
(12) Battery Monitor Boards
(12) Power Resistors
(1) 120VAC PFC 1kW Charger with Isolation
and DC/DC 650W Converter with Isolation
(1) Throttle Interface Module
(1) Vehicle Integration Module
(1) Charge Detection Module
(1) BatMon Isolation Module
(1) Contactor
(1) 600A Fuse
(2) Cooling Fans
(2) Mounting Brackets and hardware
(1) Installation and Wiring Guide

He's willing to make an 850A if demand is there.

· Registered
63 Posts
I use the Belktronix 144V 500A system.
http://belktronix.com/

It's for people on a budget.
For $2250 you get:
(1) 144VDC, 500A DC Motor Controller
(12) Battery Monitor Boards
(12) Power Resistors
(1) 120VAC PFC 1kW Charger with Isolation
and DC/DC 650W Converter with Isolation
(1) Throttle Interface Module
(1) Vehicle Integration Module
(1) Charge Detection Module
(1) BatMon Isolation Module
(1) Contactor
(1) 600A Fuse
(2) Cooling Fans
(2) Mounting Brackets and hardware
(1) Installation and Wiring Guide

He's willing to make an 850A if demand is there.
Wow, that is not a bad deal at all. Looks like this would take care of the charging of the batteries as well as the controller and many of the sub systems. If I am not mistaken.

· Registered
369 Posts
You'd require a Permanent Magnet motor to use the regen feature on that controller.

Most EV motors are Series Wound Motors, which to my understanding there is no way to have actual "regenerative" breaking from these motors, only forced motor breaking which takes up energy.

Those Kelly controllers look good for $900 you get 144v and 250A continuous, fully programmable, current limiting controls, high pedal disable.

That's everything you need in an EV.

· Registered
63 Posts
After looking at the Kelly page and trying to take a few reality pills. I think I have waffled over to the Kelly for the controller. Lets see..... Almost $1000 to put into batteries, motor, or... hehe stereo... hmmmm :rolleyes: I think the money savings a lone is worth it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.