DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my search skills probably suck. I looked all over for a good diy for this charger.

I found the Bonn Charger which presumably would work but I think it doesn't provide the constant current. I can't locate information either direction on that.

Anyone have any information on a suitable diy li-ion battery charger diy for a 144v pack?

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
is the DIY side of things to save money? My take on it would be in the long run you'll save far more money buying a charger that will look after your batteries properly...

Rather than save a small amount on a charger and then have to replace your battery pack every couple of years because the charger is abusing the cells, buy a good charger that is designed to properly treat the battery pack, and it should last a lot longer.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Then build your skillz up from smaller projects rather than expecting a cookbook that spoon feeds you all the details.

I bet liability is a big issue, anything over 60V is really asking for trouble when somebody's gonads get crispy fried

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then build your skillz up from smaller projects rather than expecting a cookbook that spoon feeds you all the details.

I bet liability is a big issue, anything over 60V is really asking for trouble when somebody's gonads get crispy fried
Well I certainly wasn't hoping for spoon-fed information rather just some ideas from people who have done such things as I assumed this was a forum where people were DIY. Seems more so as I read more and more threads this is just a forum for people to sell or to suggest that people buy, not really much in the DIY world is actually happening everyone's recommendation is just to take it off the shelf.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Administrator
6,105 Posts
Hi MattAO

I got away with a very simple charger

A transformer to drop the 230vAC to 110vAC - a bridge rectifier and capacitor pack and a JLD404 to switch it off when I got to the desired voltage

Worked fine - a bit slow (4 amps)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi MattAO

I got away with a very simple charger

A transformer to drop the 230vAC to 110vAC - a bridge rectifier and capacitor pack and a JLD404 to switch it off when I got to the desired voltage

Worked fine - a bit slow (4 amps)
Pretty smooth plan. A very basic buck buck converter.

I was considering using a buck converter to take 220 to 156 maybe using a variable resistor. Like the shut off idea you have .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts