DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1951 Studebaker business coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Want to do a conversion on 51 Studebaker. Using a s10 chevu frame
Want to put 2014 tesla s rear axle. Do u know if there is a club in Sacramento, ca

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you know how wide a S back end is? If you are wanting to put the whole suspension and subframe in then grab a measuring tape first. I'm doing a 57 Chevy and it is 9" a side too wide, give or take

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Why are you putting a car on a truck frame which you're then going to hack up to put a Tesla DU in?
The chassis of a car of that era is similar to a newer compact truck frame: they're ladder frames with live beam axle and leaf spring rear suspension. The S-10's front suspension is a rational upgrade to the car's original front suspension. The combination of older cars to the S-10 chassis is a commonly used and well-worked-out approach.

This is not the most obvious choice when also converting to an independent rear suspension to use a EV drive unit, but it may still be easier than a complete custom frame project.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Do you know how wide a S back end is? If you are wanting to put the whole suspension and subframe in then grab a measuring tape first. I'm doing a 57 Chevy and it is 9" a side too wide, give or take
This is certainly the first problem. If using the Tesla suspension, a Model 3 would be a bt narrower, but even then it's not likely to be a good fit to the body.

1951 Studebaker Champion Coupe dimensions:
Wheelbase :115.0 in | 2921 mm.
Front Track :56.5 in | 1435 mm.
Rear Track :54.0 in | 1372 mm.

A long bed first-generation S-10 has a wheelbase of 117.9 inches. The wheelbase is a decent match, and the width is comparable, which is why the S-10 is used.

A Tesla Model S has a rear track width of 66.5 inches, so it would be a foot too wide, even with tires the width of the skinny things on the Studebaker. The Model 3 is more reasonable, at 62.2 inches, but still much too wide.

The frame is another issue; some significant fabrication would be required for any IRS.

·
Registered
1951 Studebaker business coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, Thanks for the input. I decided To use a electric motor in the front. Have been doing a lot of research on how to do that. I think that a 1951 Studebaker Business Coupe converted to electric would be cool. I live near Sacramento, Ca. If anyone wants to show me their build, I would be happy to talk and take a look at your build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts