DIY Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So this is the situation right now: The new electric motor/clutch assembly is in the car now, and the motor sits on the original motor mounts in the back, as required by the authorities:

So basically that was the motor mounting part. Still have to modify a few details, the height needs to go down a few millimeters, so will modify the mounting brackets, but in general I am pretty happy on how things turned out in this phase.

Next step of course will be the mounting of all electrical components. I will take it step by step and hopefully keep you updated a bit more frequently.

In the meantime, please let me know your thoughts - and of course I am always open for your tips and suggestions!

Best regards,
Remi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Cheers brian_ ! Still waaaayyy to go, and I have a feeling that the more difficult part is yet to come.

The following parts are on the waiting list to be mounted:

4 x Tesla modules
SimpBMS Battery Management System
Elcon 3.7 KW Charger
Curtis 1238-7621 AC Motorcontroller
A small DC-DC converter (96-12V), open for suggestions
Type 2 Chargeport
Wiring, wiring, wiring…

Does that configuration make sense so far?

Best regards,
Remi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hello aquabiologist,

what a pleasure to read from you! You're the first Swiss that crosses paths with me here on this forum - although I have to admit that I haven't been very active on here.

The EMV approval is a huge issue indeed, and I am glad you are mentioning this, maybe we can even share some experiences.

This is what I understand:
Although the EMV compliance has always been part of the legislation, most vehicles that have been tested before January 2019 didn't have to pass a full EMV test if they were built exclusively for private use and not for resale. As far as I know these vehicles have a "REMARK 178: CHANGE OF VEHICLE HOLDER PROHIBITED" in the field 14 of the vehicle licence. According to some sources, this practice has been abandoned as from 2019 on, requiring all builds to certify their EMV-compliance. I couldn't find out exactly what were the reasons for that change, as nothing in the legislation changed in that period of time.

I am currently following the following approaches:

- I have been in touch with my local MFK back in 2018 asking them what would be required, and at the time they didn't mention EMV compliance, but just CE compliance of the components. Based on this answer and on the fact that the underlying legislation didn't change from then, I will try to base myself on the principle of legal certainty. A very daring approach I know, but worth a try. In my experience, it's always worth trying and speaking with them rather than just complaining. I once imported a 1983 Renault 4 from France that apparently didn't meet the emission standards, and everybody told me that there's no chance it will ever be driving on Swiss roads... but see what happened:

- I am also documenting the build as good as I can in order to have all the technical documentation ready for inspection once the project will be finished. This might be important to prove that the CE marks are present also on hidden parts etc.

- I am trying to use components that have been used before in Switzerland and have the relevant CE marks and other certifications available. This is e.g. the problem with HPEVS products, as they don't have this kind of documentation available. My FIMEA motor e.g. is european built and has the relevant marks.

- If everything fails, I might have the possibility to export the car to my second home in Ireland, pass the NCT there.

- I also hope in changes of legislation and harmonisation with the rest of europe, although it is still patchy there as well, as the example of France showed recently.

I would be very interested to share some experience with you or other Swiss builders on that very topic - I think that we need to act together in order to solve these flaws in legislation or practice. Luckily, Switzerland usually approaches these kind of problems with some common sense. Not always, but most of the times ;-) !

Looking forward to hearing from you again!

Best regards,
Remi.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Remi

Nice to hear from you!

Actually I am in a group of swiss vw T2 and T3 owners that are looking into the certification of ev conversion. If you are interested, send me your email. I would forward it to the admin, so he could invite you to our group. Its in schwiizerdütsch though ;-)

Meanwhile here is a document, which contains the current regulation in Switzerland.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TpbwxAENP2ImdF_UrZGbzyvyMyJ6Kngt/view?usp=drivesdk

As you said, EMV is mandatory now, according to this document. Registering the car for personal use is no longer an option. But as to why the rules changed and are not the same as in the rest of europe is a mistery to us too.

Cheers!

Daniel

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thank you Daniel!

I know that group and I even know one of your colleagues there personally, we've been discussing these issues just recently.

As said, I don't have a firm plan yet but looking into options. The last and least preferred would be an export and re-import.

I'll keep you posted if I'll be able to find out more here.

At what stage are you with you T2 anyway? :)

Best regards,
Remi.

·
Registered
54 Posts
crazy! small world hey :)

was that Marius?

anyways, i am using my bus for weekend trips and holidays.

i will not start before its clear, that i can get the conversion road legal. having watched countless youtubers converting (including yours!) i am aware that the conversion itself is hard enough.

but i do have a fully equipped garage with other hobby vw enthusiasts, so theoretically, i am ready ;-)

so for now its an all virtual conversion, runs great

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hello guys,
just a quick update on my conversion which is finally nearing completion! All components are in the car now, and the first test drive has been completed. Here's a few updates the build:

On this picture you can see the dry-fitting of the rear battery encosure and other mounting brackets. I cut these from alluminium with a waterjet cutting machine. All components use the original mounting points, not a single additional hole has been drilled into the historical metal.

On the next picture, there's some low-voltage and signalling cabling going on.

(...continued)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
And then finally I could go into (preliminary) programming the Curtis 1238e-76xx Controller and BMS:

Looks utterly weird to attach a computer to a 1954 car, right?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.