DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I've purchased a tragedy of a 1964 Ford Econoline van and I'm going to EV it.
The plan is to pull ALL of the running gear out of it and install an all wheel drive Subaru chassis underneath ( I need the AWD ).
I've sourced a front sub assembly with auto trans, and a rear sub assembly.
The Ford has two beefy rails that run front to back that these assemblies will be affixed to. The rails are the only structural parts of the van that are solid. Everything else will be upgraded/repaired/replaced.
I need to source a motor to link to the tranny. I'm thinking a Netgain 9", I have room for large battery packs under the floor. There is an power accessory assembly bracket available.
I am not expecting high performance.
Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If you're just cruising about, subie parts work, otherwise they are a bit weak and not to the 1/2 ton capacity your van might have. Frame rails from ford should accept just about anything without major adaptation, might even have holes predrilled if they aren't rusted out.

Series DC you want the biggest heaviest motor you can get, 11" forklift traction preferred, expensive hotrodded 9" will do..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't expect to be "hauling" much about, I will be making at least long trip per year. About 500km, there's charging stations along the route so I'm not much worried about range I will be on the highway so I need 65 mph and maybe 2 hours of range. I can pick up Subaru Outback chassis parts readily, I'm worried about coupling the motor to the automatic transmission ( I'll remove the torque converter ). I could also use a powerglide with a transfer case for the front.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
So, if you rent a car for that one trip a year, what range do you really need?

Running an automatic trans is a PITA - very few people do it. There's no torque converter (the input shaft is typically direct driven from the traction motor) in an EV conversion to keep the trans pump running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still very much defining the scope of work. Using all Subaru parts/assemblies will save time as I know every thing will fit, and I can source off the shelf parts. The motor (still to be chosen) will be much MUCH lighter than the lump in the van already, and there is a 165 pound counterweight in the back that can be removed. How much difficulty will there be to get a couple for the motor/tranny and how to mount the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts