DIY Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
its been a while... but i made some progress!

van runs. im running it through my second vfd so i know i have 2 working units now.

looots still to do but here is a little video to catch you up so far.

shnitzel

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very cool. I'm curious to see how the 7:1 rear gears work out. It's not an option for all RWD conversions, but some people have even put 9" Fords in MGBs, so...could save a bit of cost/complexity vs a TorqueBox or full transmission. I wonder what it's like at highway speeds, though a 50-year-old van may have different ideas as what counts as "highway speed"!

How'd you adapt the yoke to the Leaf motor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
i actually have a 7.4 : 1 ratio gearset. the leaf was 8.2 : 1... so my top speed will be SLIGHTLY higher but not much. and my van is definitely lighter than the leaf. by a bunch......

the van has new shocks etc. should be good at highway speed. im not scared ;)

ive been driving it around without brakes for the last few days. ha ha ha ha.... very cool! it still has the 3 : 1 gear set in it and i cant believe how it pulls and climbs. the lower gears are going to be awesome!

i got the brakes hooked up last night. bleed them today. then just some van lights etc and ill insure it!

i bought the fiat clutch and used its center section. i had it machined down to be pressed into the driveshaft yoke. i welded it inside the yoke. i drilled and threaded a hole down the center of the nissan motor shaft. and i bolted it on there! seems good. before final assembly ill lock tight it in place to be sure it stays there.

hard to go to work when my van is so fun to play with! but i best go and put some hours in.... ha ha ha.

ill post a driving video as soon as i take one.

and as far as ground clearance. i measure 10" between the motor and the ground. my friends 2005 4x4 chev truck has 9.5" of ground clearance. so i should be good there ;)

hey "jbman".... your videos are gone!!!! what happened? i went to watch your putty video for reference again and it seems gone! too bad... your videos were a great help to my start....

shnitzel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I just put a bit of time into the DC-DC converter. and sure enough it works too! applied power to the red and purple wires. voila! charging the 12v system!

now onto ordering a j1772 plug for the wall and learn to get the charger working!

closer and closer!

shnitzel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
for reverse i toggle the gear selection switch! motor goes backwards. soooo simple. i may have built my last turbo project. lovin this e-build!

shnitzel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I put the van back up on stands for some more updates. Going throught the gears etc.

My next big hurdle is the charger. i am hoping Dave will share his progress with me. I messaged him and am hoping for a response. maybe i can be his beta tester until he gets his car up and running.

heres another video of my progress. enjoy!

shnitzel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update::::: Van weighs 3080 lbs WITH ME IN IT!!!!!! sweeeet!
Im hoping someone that has made this charger work will take me in as a beta tester ;) someone???? im daring and excited to try! going to need a charger soon......

Im happy with the new wheels. They suit the look i think. Got a pack sniffer too!

shnitzel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I got to drive an actual LEAF!!!! very fun! very peppy!!!! im getting more excited!!!

Almost got my brakes done. differential gears and charger last. then im done....... gotta figure this charger out. hopefully before im done. if so i cant decide whether the 3kw or 6kw.... might go cheap in hopes to still get the leaf one working someday.

heres another video update. hope you enjoy!

shnitzel

41 - 51 of 51 Posts