DIY Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I thought about using a folded composite chassis for my car before I chickened out

That flat chassis just calls out for a folded honeycomb structure
That's very cool, thanks for sharing.

Some time ago I paid a visit to Tornado Sports Cars who build a carbon fibre GT40 chassis with a aluminium honeycomb interior. As you say the material is amazing :D

http://www.tornadosportscars.com/GT40/Monocoquechassis.html

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Happy to report that my bus has finally been registered in the UK and I can now strip it down ready for conversion :cool:

In the last few weeks I've been visiting fabricators to review options on the chassis redesign to accommodate the Tesla battery. I've also found a motorsports company who will add motor mounts to the Red 9 IRS for the 'small' Tesla rear motor. While it's very tight in the old engine bay we believe we can fit the Tesla motor and IRS without modifying the bus... a bolt on upgrade :)

Here's a photo of a split engine bay with a Red 9 IRS installed... note this is not my bus today unfortunately ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
I've been looking for axles for the 'small' Tesla rear motors but could only find axles from the 'large' Tesla rear motors at breakers (part number 1007719). So I took a gamble and the good news is they fit :) I guess it's possible that Tesla only make the one size axle for rear motors.

Note that the Tesla front motor does have a different axle with a cup that's ~5mm smaller in diameter (part number 1030615). I don't know whether these are usable in the rear motors :confused:

1030615 photo thanks to Damien :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
It makes sense to me that the front and rear would have different axle shafts, because the outer CV joint must go through much greater angles at the front with steering. That doesn't matter to the inner CV joint, but once they're using a different shaft anyway...

Also, Tesla started with the large rear motor, and when they added the front motor they would not have expected to ever go as high as that original rear torque level on the front, so a smaller joint would make sense.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
We hope to 3D scan the 'small' Tesla rear motor in the next couple of weeks... we *think* we have a solution that will allow any of the early VW vehicles to use the Tesla drivetrain easily :cool:

While we wait here are a few photo's that give an indication of the overall size of the drivetrain that we are using.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Nice! What are you hoping to do with the chademo adaptor?
We're fitting a single Type 2 CCS connector to our conversions and hope to support single/three phase AC, CCS, CHAdeMO, and supercharging (subject to approval).

We had originally planned to use Tesla OEM Type 2 car connectors as fitted to EU/AUS cars but they are proving difficult to source from salvage in quantity. Our workaround is to fit new DC pins to a Type 2 CCS connector that we can procure more readily. The CHAdeMO adapter is intended to help with mechanical and electrical design :cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The van is currently at the workshop where the prototype motor mounts are being fabricated. I hope to have some progress to report in a couple of weeks time.

In the meantime we've just received another 'small' Tesla drive unit which is destined for a 1976 Beetle Karmann Cabriolet conversion that a friend is undertaking :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
We're making progress on the 3D scans and have today found a company that can 3D print full size copies of the drive units, battery modules, and chargers. The plan is to create low cost space models of the Tesla parts that anyone can use during the conversion planning stage.

At the other end of the scale, we've been fabricating physical models to help visualise the mechanical constraints (sometimes easier when you don't have 3D models of the vehicle) :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
We have the prototype engine mounts fabricated and the 'small' Tesla rear motor installed ready for inverter testing :)

The only cut on the bus was the centre of the lowest cross member which we think we can save in a future version of the motor mount design. Everything bolts onto the bus including the Red 9 IRS system that I'm using.

Next step is to verify this design approach works on a beetle chassis. Then we'll give the prototype to a couple of engineering companies who will turn it into products that we can all buy :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
We're planning on installing Type 2 CCS connectors on our Tesla based conversions in Europe.

This connector will support up to 73A (~17kW) single phase, 63A (~43kW) three phase, 150A (~150kW) CCS, 125A (~54kW) CHAdeMO (with the Tesla adapter), and some crazy power if we modify the earth pin and plug in a SuperCharger (I suspect we'll also need life insurance that includes the unexpected arrival of a Falcon 9 overhead ;)).

The basic connector is ~100 USD delivered in Europe and ~250 USD with 3m cables and manual/electric lock installed. If people are interested I'm happy to stock these in Europe and sell them at cost to anyone who's supporting the open source efforts (send me a PM) :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Quick note, it wont do single phase 73A, it says 63A or 14kw

Also CSS dc fast charge is 150A, or at 400V 60Kw :D

Still plenty of juice. Any idea of how/where you will get a CSS PLC communication for the DC fast charge?

And yes I will defiantly be interested once I kick off my build. (currently only got a chademo port)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Quick note, it wont do single phase 73A, it says 63A or 14kw
We've already put 100A through the pins in an oven at 50C... begin by asking yourself what Tesla are doing to get >300A through those pins ;)

Also CSS dc fast charge is 150A, or at 400V 60Kw :D
Not if you control the CCS charger :p

Any idea of how/where you will get a CSS PLC communication for the DC fast charge?
Yes, we're brainstorming lots of ideas... at the moment we're expecting to add the capability to the charger controller that Damien is working on.

And yes I will defiantly be interested once I kick off my build. (currently only got a chademo port)
Great!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
We’ve been busy working on the suspension system and hope to have the wheels back on the bus next week ready to test Damien’s open source inverter controller 😎

In parallel with these efforts we’re showing the prototype motor mounts to a couple of companies that want to make them commercially for all the early VW vehicles 👍 And in the quiet moments we’re kitting parts for four Tesla based conversions 💪

Attachments

61 - 80 of 276 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.