DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - Glad to find this forum!

I helped to build an EV back in 1996 using a Saturn and Nickel–metal hydride batteries.

Fast forward to 2020 - I bought my first EV for $500. A 1970 VW bug with a Hyper 9 DC Brush Motor, Curtis Controller, and 32 LiFePO4 cells.

The batteries were shot so I am going to use Tesla cells with the same motor/controller.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Welcome, Woody!

... I bought my first EV for $500. A 1970 VW bug with a Hyper 9 DC Brush Motor, Curtis Controller...
That would presumably be a WarP 9 brushed DC series-wound motor, since the HyPer 9 is a new permanent magnet AC synchronous motor.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Welcome, Woody!

That would presumably be a WarP 9 brushed DC series-wound motor, since the HyPer 9 is a new permanent magnet AC synchronous motor.
Im thinking that maybe the 9" motors were called Hyper 9 in the early days of Warfield Motors. I'll ask them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, Woody!

Thanks Brian! Yes you are likely correct. Actually I know I am wrong. I know its an Impulse DC due to the sticker on it. From what I have read it was a popular motor choice for a while. I am hoping that I will be happy with the results once I get the Tesla modules.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts