DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - Here is the thread of my build / rebuild.

It is a 1970 VW Bug which was converted about 10 years back.

It has a Hyper 9 Impact DC Brush Motor and a Curtis 96/144 converter. I am planning to replace the 32 LiFePO4 batteries with 5 Tesla Model S modules.

Here are some of the pictures on when bought it (about 2 weeks back).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I am planning to replace the 32 LiFePO4 batteries with 5 Tesla Model S modules.
That should be interesting. :) The LiFePO4 cells are under the front hood (is that all of them?), but the Tesla Model S modules seem unlike to fit there. What's the plan for locating the modules? The parcel shelf behind the rear seat (over the transaxle) seems to be a popular choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That should be interesting. :) The LiFePO4 cells are under the front hood (is that all of them?), but the Tesla Model S modules seem unlike to fit there. What's the plan for locating the modules? The parcel shelf behind the rear seat (over the transaxle) seems to be a popular choice.
The cells were in the rear cargo area. I took them out and appears there will be enough room for 5 Tesla modules.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The cells were in the rear cargo area. I took them out and appears there will be enough room for 5 Tesla modules.
Thanks. I should have recognized the corner of the rear window in your first battery pack photo - I just saw the front end photo with the pile of wiring and incorrectly assumed that there were cells under there. :)

It looks like the original pack extended forward into the rear seating area. With any luck a stack of Tesla modules can sit entirely in the cargo area, allowing a stock seat to be installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I should have recognized the corner of the rear window in your first battery pack photo - I just saw the front end photo with the pile of wiring and incorrectly assumed that there were cells under there. :)

It looks like the original pack extended forward into the rear seating area. With any luck a stack of Tesla modules can sit entirely in the cargo area, allowing a stock seat to be installed.

You are correct. There is currently no back seat. I think the 5 Tesla modules would fit back there nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks. I should have recognized the corner of the rear window in your first battery pack photo - I just saw the front end photo with the pile of wiring and incorrectly assumed that there were cells under there.

You are correct. There is currently no back seat. I think the 5 Tesla modules would fit back there nicely.

This is a sweet build! I’ve got a client who has a 68’ ragtop bug that was converted about 15 years ago with lead acid batteries, and currently doing a full rebuild with a Hyper 9 AC motor and 5 tesla modules, and of course an Orion 2 BMS. I don’t recommend using any other BMS with tesla modules, as orion is packed with necessary safety features.

If you need help planning your build, I would love to help. I also sell tesla modules, and can help you get 5 modules from the same pack, which is extremely important.

feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]
And I’d love to help as much as I can!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has a Hyper 9 Impact DC Brush Motor and...
Fun upgrade you have there. More than likely, that's a Netgain Warp9 and not the newer AC Hyper9. This post caught my eye because I'm evaluating a 10 Tesla S Module build for a 1971 convertible bug that will likely use the Hyper9, Orion, etc. If anyone has attempted to fit 10 on board, I'd like to share ideas about where, and suspension & brake mods. Also looking at Nissan Leaf 40kWh or 62kWh pack (reconfigured). But getting one has been a challenge since they're relatively new at the time of this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Also looking at Nissan Leaf 40kWh or 62kWh pack (reconfigured). But getting one has been a challenge since they're relatively new at the time of this post.
An interesting idea, but I'll note that the 40 kWh and 62 kWh packs for the Leaf are very different in module design and configuration (even though they fit in almost the same outer housing) - these would be two different design challenges. Both have the advantage (over almost any other modules, including any from Tesla) of not having any active thermal management (cooling) system to accommodate... and the disadvantage of not having any cooling system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, the 40 and 62 module & pack designs are quite different. Both look promising. And the smaller modular size (relative to Tesla S modules) would be more beneficial in a small conversion. The only warming complaints about them has been related to driving and reduced DC fast charging rate, which I won't use on this build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fun upgrade you have there. More than likely, that's a Netgain Warp9 and not the newer AC Hyper9. This post caught my eye because I'm evaluating a 10 Tesla S Module build for a 1971 convertible bug that will likely use the Hyper9, Orion, etc. If anyone has attempted to fit 10 on board, I'd like to share ideas about where, and suspension & brake mods. Also looking at Nissan Leaf 40kWh or 62kWh pack (reconfigured). But getting one has been a challenge since they're relatively new at the time of this post.

Cool project Kirk. Have you figured out how to fit 10 Tesla cells? For me the 5 in back seems doodle and I could probably fit 6, and 4 up front. It would be tight though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is an updated picture of my current progress.

Added windshield washer pump and reservoir

Moved battery to current location

Installed a shorter brake reservoir

Rewire of entire car

Relocated DC/DC charger

Relocated battery charger

Relocated AC plug

Installed glove box

Installed lever for opening front trunk

In process of entire brake line replacement

Installed new floor pans

Quick roof installed to quiet and insulate

New Master Cylinder

Installed 4 1/2” conduit - through heater channels for wiring

Plexiglass lid. Will likely be covered with black carpet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cool project Kirk. Have you figured out how to fit 10 Tesla cells? For me the 5 in back seems doodle and I could probably fit 6, and 4 up front. It would be tight though.
Good to know they might fit like that. I have not gone after confirming fit because IF we go with 10 Tesla modules, our current drive system plan requires a lower voltage, so we'd need to run two strings of 5 modules. Paralleling cell groups with small wires is not a safe option. Parallel strings may sound easy, but has interesting safety complications that must be managed properly by BMS. Been researching that and other cell type options for the 200 mi range convertible bug. Not just the 40kWh and 62kWh Leaf cells. Been looking for a few months for another project and they are difficult to get at a reasonable price right now. Being fairly new, the salvaged cars are still going for top dollar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts