DIY Electric Car Forums banner
241 - 260 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
650V is the max rating of the components and is the operating bus voltage in the GS450h.

Lower voltage will work but the effects of back-EMF will become more apparent with lower bus voltages, limiting max torque as motor speed increases.

Depending on your gearing, this will probably not matter.

The motors spin up just fine on 12V DC!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Folks: When xp677 talks... we listen!
Your project is looking great, it's good to see you're taking your time and using plenty of care when working with these components. Thank you so much for your detailed documentation of your work.

It's interesting to see the "stock" wiring harnesses used, I always wanted to do this but sadly they were cost prohibitive for me at the time. It certainly makes for a cleaner install!

I'm just here having a read through, feel free to DM me on Openinverter if you need anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good luck getting that first spin - i've spent hours going over mine getting nothing - I may have a dead inverter but I can't figure it out - ready to just quit o_O
Please can you make a thread, either here or on Openinverter, add plenty of pics, diagrams, etc. There are plenty of folks who can help you through it.

I've been working with these units for a few years now and know many of the pitfalls.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 · (Edited)
remember we can power up this controller board (aka VCU) by simply attaching a USB cable to it, here I am using a computer but you can just use an AC USB Adapter

supplying power to the controller powers up the newly added little red WiFi network car and it starts advertising it's wireless network called gs450h_vcu, it is actually a tiny little web server hosting just one page, this gauge console

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Breadboard Microcontroller

and yes I did call my home wireless network "Network Not Found" how friggen clever is that?

Font Screenshot Sky Technology Electronic device

Light Product Rectangle Font Line

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 · (Edited)
so out of the box you have the ability to change the background of that gauge cluster, because when I told you this little WiFi card was hosting only one page I lied, it's actually hosting two, LOL

Product Font Circle Technology Screenshot

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
and here I'm just demonstrating how you can run the gauges on your old 7" Android tablet in kiosk mode so that you don't get the silly address bar on top or the menu bar

I plan on modifying these gauges to show me my Speedometer and battery capacity as well

Rectangle Computer Output device Tablet computer Gadget

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
so to complete the Controller VCU board build it was time to solder on the second 20 pin connector this is the A Connector which I called Ancillary

Passive circuit component Circuit component Resistor Hardware programmer Lighting

Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Grass

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic component

I mean I wouldn't kick myself out of bed for eating crackers after this job, looks pretty good to me

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Electronic engineering Electronic component

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
just look at this handsum feller, and yes I am NOT snapping that cover in until absolutely the very final days of the project, it is a super PIA to remove

Composite material Gas Natural material Concrete Transparency

Gas Composite material Office ruler Concrete Auto part

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
and here is my Dumb and Dumber version

Note some key omissions:

A9-14 We do not use the Shift Solenoid Signals after all​
A18-19 Are for modern cars (1990s and up with CAN Bus communication)​
B2 Never got implemented​
B6 No need to have the VCU power on the Inverter​
B16 This VCU only uses the single Throttle Channel on pin B17​
B18-19 Also CAN Bus will be added on soon, these go to the current sensor and are important
Font Screenshot Number Advertising Multimedia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cinch makes special tools for removing the connector header from the enclosure housing. Somewhere in my stack of stuff I have one for the LE series; it looks like you're using the SE series housing (which would require a different tool). It makes removing the housing -- well, a Cinch.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Cinch makes special tools for removing the connector header from the enclosure housing. Somewhere in my stack of stuff I have one for the LE series; it looks like you're using the SE series housing (which would require a different tool). It makes removing the housing -- well, a Cinch.
oh my god, thank you for letting us know, I had no idea

[a few years ago...] Cinch Board Room Meeting

"guys... sells are down, how can we make more money... Ah yes Günter [the German consultant on loan from Berlin] do you have an idea? Yez we kuld makes a case dat nobotee could opens, and then we makes a special tool we sells to make it opens like dis"

Rectangle Wood Font Magenta Metal

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
So I had a crazy thought: let's wire up that A Connector in order, starting with Pin #1. Shocking I know.

Pin #1 - Oil Pump Temp +​
Pin #2 - Oil Pump Temp -​

So I go up to the transmission, locate the little black electric oil pump on the passenger side of it, technically transmission fluid pump, but you get the idea, then I follow the black low voltage wiring harness out of it, and that's when I remember oh yeah this harness plugs in to the oil pump controller, but what the hewk plugs in to that to actually control it?

Gas Engineering Electric blue Electrical wiring Machine

Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
QUIZ TIME

Which of the following wire harnesseseses has the transmission oil pump controller wire harness as part of it?

A. The transmission wire harness
B. The inverter wire harness
C. Neither, we need yet another harness
D. Both A. and B.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'd say a separate CAN-bus harness plugs into your English to Japanese translator box with the heatsinks, so C.

If it is controlled by CAN, unless someone's decoded it, you might be further ahead controlling the pump directly without their controller...

241 - 260 of 290 Posts