DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
All parts are selected.

Why on earth you used a Lexus variant, which the Europeans would because that's plentiful over there, when there was a Chevy TRUCK variant (yes, with the correct output shaft) of the very same transmission, is beyond me. Had you asked here, several months ago, you'd have saved yourself some (upcoming? hard to tell if this is done or where you are in timeline) headaches.

The entire point of the original exercise was to convert a hybrid to pure plugin electric by leaving stuff in place in the car, simply pulling the ICE out and blocking the input shaft.

Oh, it's from a "Toyota" - must be good? lol

Carry on. My comment here is for anyone following in your footsteps - open your eyes before your wallet.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Why on earth you used a Lexus variant, which the Europeans would because that's plentiful over there, when there was a Chevy TRUCK variant (yes, with the correct output shaft) of the very same transmission, is beyond me. Had you asked here, several months ago, you'd have saved yourself some (upcoming? hard to tell if this is done or where you are in timeline) headaches.
How was I supposed to ask about something I did not know existed, I still don't know what you are talking about? ha ha and I did ask a few months ago a year ago to be exact and that's when it was suggested to me to use the GS450H

So what is this Chevy Truck variant you speak of please do tell.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The development of that transmission was funded by three companies for use in hybrid vehicles. GM was one of them. I can't recall the third one...want to say BMW, but not sure.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The development of that transmission was funded by three companies for use in hybrid vehicles. GM was one of them. I can't recall the third one...want to say BMW, but not sure.
In that case I may have found the Global Hybrid Cooperation wiki article and here are some highlights:

Global Hybrid Cooperation (formerly called Advanced Hybrid System 2 or AHS2) is a set of hybrid vehicle technologies jointly developed by General Motors, Daimler, and Chrysler LLC, with BMW joining in 2005.

While Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive may appear similar in that it also combines the power from an Internal combustion engine (ICE) and a pair of electric motor-generators; however in its current form, Toyota uses only one planetary gearset providing only single mode functionality (i.e. input split only) using a series/parallel architecture.

[that indicates it's similar but hardly "very same transmission" I even learned that the current Open Source VCU for the Lexus GS450H only works with the 2007-11 generation and not even the 2012-13 so I doubt it would work with GMs]

GM was reportedly responsible for development of rear- and four-wheel drive truck and front wheel drive car systems while DaimlerChrysler was focused on a rear wheel drive luxury car application.

On March 1, 2007, BMW and DaimlerChrysler announced that they were expanding their partnership and moving quickly to develop a mild hybrid module for rear wheel drive premium cars. GM is not part of this expanded partnership, and has not announced plans to develop a hybrid RWD system for cars.

It was reported in July 2009, however, that after the upcoming introductions of two-mode versions of the BMW X6 globally and the Mercedes-Benz M class only in the United States, the joint venture would be dissolved.
so since I am not interested in a 4WD vehicle and want a 2WD rear wheel drive, my choice in this case is a one year vehicle as opposed to four years to choose from if going with the Lexus 2007-2011 GS450H. Take a look at eBay and shoot me a link to one of those 2WD GM transmissions for $700 or less. Also shoot us a link to any build threads using the GM transmission as well as the GitHub open source for the VCU.

Also Toyota (aka Lexus) is the world's largest automaker, (they have been maybe for the last decade now surpassing GM) and there are way more cars in the States than in Europe and I may have the world's largest Lexus recycler in the world just 25 miles away from my house in Rancho Cordova, California.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Why on earth you used a Lexus variant, which the Europeans would because that's plentiful over there, when there was a Chevy TRUCK variant (yes, with the correct output shaft) of the very same transmission, is beyond me.
The GM Two-Mode used in Chev/GMC trucks a decade ago (the 2ML70) would certainly be suitable and a more obvious choice, but it's not exactly the same: Toyota (including for Lexus models) uses an input split design, while the GM Two-Mode has both input and output side power splitters and has all-mechanical modes as well. They won't share any parts. They're "the very same transmission" in the sense that a current GM automatic is "the very same transmission" as a Mercedes G-Tronic, because they're both torque converter planetary automatics. ;) That GM unit was very expensive; I don't know what current availability and pricing might be like.

There is also a current GM longitudinal hybrid transmission of similar design; although GM has never put it in trucks, it might be suitable for a C-10 (which is smaller than current full-sized pickups). It is found only in the Cadillac CT6 PHEV, and designated by GM as the 4EL70 (Regular Production Option code "MRD"). The "70" indicates a GVWR comparable to the earlier 2ML70; that's not as strong as current GM pickup truck transmissions, but likely adequate for the C-10. Again, I have no idea of availability or pricing. Here's an illustration

... from a Green Car Congress article.

I don't know how much aftermarket or hobbyist support there is for use of any of the GM hybrid systems outside of the original vehicles.

In that case I may have found the Global Hybrid Cooperation wiki article and here are some highlights:
Yes, that's the one; the GM designation is 2ML70.

so since I am not interested in a 4WD vehicle and want a 2WD rear wheel drive, my choice in this case is a one year vehicle as opposed to four years to choose from if going with the Lexus 2007-2011 GS450H...
Even if the 2ML70 was only in 4WD vehicles, the transfer case and tailhousing may be interchangeable with GM's conventional automatics, making the 2ML70 convertible to RWD applications... just a possibility.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
this is a neat cut away of the Lexus GS450H transmotor, found on the OpenInverter dot org Wiki Page I believe

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering Machine

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
so one of the first things I've done was label MG1 and MG2 (Motor Generator 1 and Motor Generator 2 respectfully) yes I believe MG1 is missing the connection cover which I am hoping to source soon
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Gas Font Nut Auto part
Motor vehicle Gas Nut Auto part Metal

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
so let's go over the Inverter connections starting with the two most obvious, the two high voltage orange hoses connect the two motors inside the transmission to the two matching ports on the front top of the Inverter, these are for what I call raw power there's no intelligence flowing through them, that's what the black wires are for

see good thing we labeled these as they are on the opposite side of the inverter than the transmission!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Wood

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I decided to learn more about the stock Lexus hybrid battery harness next, and I'm glad I did as I learned it will be insufficient to use with our full 360 volt BMW 530e hybrid battery pack later on (thank you Artur)

the stock Lexus hybrid battery was only 288 volts and 1.4 kWh so maybe a range of 1.5 miles it also connected to the 30kW rated booster converter where the voltage was increased north of 600 volts, we will not be using those stock connections nor the booster converter do to the 30kW limitation, more on this later

note the electric Air Conditioning compressor, I am still scratching my head why Lexus would do this and strip the already minimum electron capacity by not using a conventional mechanical compressor, but hewk, what do I know

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Electrical wiring Electricity

Line Asphalt Gas Automotive lighting Electrical wiring

Line Automotive exterior Bicycle part Automotive tire Asphalt

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
ok let's take a look at the Inverter connectors on the driver side, this is where the power from the hybrid battery comes in and goes out to the air compressor

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Asphalt

Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Asphalt Gas

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Great build man!
Thank you mate, I appreciate that, I try to bring things down to the common man's level, I know a ton of "car guys" that can weld and fab race cars from scratch yet they may be intimidated by all the orange wires, ha ha, so I just want to put things in simple mans terms and get us all to pull off more EV Conversions, knowing not all of us are Nikola Teslas

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you mate, I appreciate that, I try to bring things down to the common man's level, I know a ton of "car guys" that can weld and fab race cars from scratch yet they may be intimidated by all the orange wires, ha ha, so I just want to put things in simple mans terms and get us all to pull off more EV Conversions, knowing not all of us are Nikola Teslas
Ha I get ya - I can weld all day long and build mechanical things all day - considering I'm build an electric tank. When it comes to electrical, wires, relays and the like - that's my kryptonite

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
since we are already looking at this side of the Inverter lets touch on them rubber hoses, one goes to the top of the radiator and the other comes from the bottom of the radiator via an electric water pump
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

Organism Font Handwriting Schematic Parallel

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ha I get ya - I can weld all day long and build mechanical things all day - considering I'm build an electric tank. When it comes to electrical, wires, relays and the like - that's my kryptonite
OMG I'm watching your YouTube channel as I write this, ha ha I found it this morning, I saw tank and I thought I'm in, love your humble attitude and mad fab skillz

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I'm one of those guys who likes to take things apart, I'm sure most of you can relate. I also don't like wire harnesses where connectors disappear into the abyss, like those plastic white housings pictured above, so I decided to take them off and see what's going on inside there, that learned me that we can essentially separate the electronic air conditioning compressor wiring harness from the true hybrid battery one, cool beans
Scaled reptile Snake Flooring Gas Reptile

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Gas Bumper

Tire Wheel Hood Road surface Automotive tire
Wood Fashion accessory Office supplies millipedes Chemical compound
Wood Plant Window Bumper Hood
Electrical wiring Asphalt Gas Cable Circuit component
Gas Automotive lighting Font Gadget Auto part

·
Registered
49 Posts
OMG I'm watching your YouTube channel as I write this, ha ha I found it this morning, I saw tank and I thought I'm in, love your humble attitude and mad fab skillz
Ha thanks man! I really have no idea what I'm doing - I build each aspect as I get an perfect idea for it - when it's stupid and dosn't work I try again. I try and make it funny to enjoy - been a blast doing it. I'm about 95% done with the wire harness so if you have any question I can totally help ya

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ha thanks man! I really have no idea what I'm doing - I build each aspect as I get an perfect idea for it - when it's stupid and dosn't work I try again. I try and make it funny to enjoy - been a blast doing it. I'm about 95% done with the wire harness so if you have any question I can totally help ya
Thanks bro, I appreciate that and hell yes I need the help with the VCU wiring, can you email me as I am too dumb to figure out how to message folks on this forum directly muszyngr at yahoo dot com

21 - 40 of 55 Posts