DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1971 VW Type 3 Square back is for sale...
My new job is too far away
Drove it to work for 2 years...9 miles each way, lots of long hills...

I am looking for $12,500

I can be reached at

[email protected]

The car is located in Waterbury Connecticut...144 volt...Curtis 1231c... 9.5 inch advance motor...Took about a year to build it... Batteries are 1 month old...deep cycle Crowns... good typical range for a 144 volt system...4 speed, I use mostly 2nd gear... Clutch less... all new brakes, tires carpeting...paint is good, slight rust ...3 on board Minn Kota 48 volt smart chargers, charges each battery separately...separate 12 volt battery for lights horn etc...HD radio, Digital Volt meter, analog amp meter...

E Mail me for more info...

P1010086.jpg

P7240171.jpg

P7240176.jpg

P7240178.jpg

P7240179.jpg

P7240185.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
The first car I drove was an orange '71 Squareback just like yours (not electric of course). Your pics fired off some good memories in the depths of my brain. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings,

Not a lot of activity with my car... I understand that until gas prices go back up it will be hard to sell...

Any ideas on how to generate some interest? What do you think the pricing level should be? I guessed at the 12,500...

Is there something I can offer with the car to help get some interested lookers?

I appreciate your help on this, you guys know more about these cars than anyone in the country...

Robert
Nuts and Volts VW

·
SPAM Cop
1,499 Posts
Robert,

It's tough for the ICEr to think of buying an almost-40-year-old car for $12,500. Yeah, it probably is worth that, or near that... but as you say, until they can "justify the cost" due to the gas price, they probably won't bite.

$12,500 is enough to build a relatively decent conversion on one's own as well.

If you look, Mark Hardy has been trying to sell his very nice Toyota pick-up conversion for several months, and has dropped the asking price as low as 6500 and is now asking for people to make an offer and it still hasn't sold. It's worth every penny he's asking and more.

Selling an EV conversion is pretty tough, unfortunately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply...

Do you think it would be better to take it apart and sell off the components?
And sell off the doner car, as it is pretty popular these days?

·
SPAM Cop
1,499 Posts
Thanks for your reply...

Do you think it would be better to take it apart and sell off the components?
And sell off the doner car, as it is pretty popular these days?
I'd think that may be a better route.

Part of the reason is that most people looking for conversions or to do conversions have a very specific set of goals in mind for the vehicle.

It's more work for you to do, but you're more likely to find someone who needs a controller, or a motor, or a charger or what have you than someone who is in the market for your specific setup as a package deal.

Most conversions sell for less than what it cost to build them, which is why buying a pre-built conversion tends to be such a great deal, if the buyer can find a platform they'd like to drive which meets their requirements. Even still, it seems tough to find someone to take the whole package.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just lowered my price to $6,950.00 I will let you know if I get any bites...
On E Bay local, Connecticut...
Ooooo,
Unfortunately we are in the UK and have no money.
My first car was a Type 3 variant E.
I stripped it to restore it and then my parents moved house and it it ended up in the scrap.... I wish I still had it.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to list it on E Bay for $4,950.00 if I can't get any interest I will just take it apart and use the components for some other project... and sell off the donor VW...
WOW these are tough to sell when gas is so cheap...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Too bad I am all the way in California. I am looking at your VW and liking it. :)

Unfortunately, the wife is not too interested in a cross-country trip to buy another toy for me. Best wishes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts