DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey, nice to see another Spitfire conversion. There's nearly a dozen in the 'Garage'. I converted a 1979 Spitfire Build thread is here Unfortunately these forums 'lost' most of my build pictures..

While I was doing mine, Moltenmetal converted his 1975 Spitfire Build thread here

I've been up to 85mph in mine (in 5th gear). I haven't timed 0 to 60, but I'm sure I'm not under 8seconds. I used a Warp9 DC motor -- which has a lot of torque.

With your performance goals, you will need a transmission. Going transmission-less would definitely not get your 8s 0-60mph goal, and might not get you to 80mph either. I needed the overdrive gear for that, but the AC motors do have higher RPM ratings than my DC motor -- which is whey I say 'might'.

I would highly recommend not to use the original transmission. It can't handle the torque of the electric motor. I've seen a couple of conversions where the original tranny didn't survive long. I used a T5/World Class transmission in mine. Moltenmetal had a Toyota transmission.

The Tesla cells are certainly a good choice for weight to performance. They weren't readily available when I did my conversion.

I'm looking forward to seeing your conversion progress!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thinking through what I would to if I was starting my Spitfire conversion today, here's what I'd look into:

-- Use Tesla motor mounted in rear. The Spit has independent suspension, so shouldn't be too hard with custom/modified half shafts to use it this way. Won't need a transmission.

-- Put the Tesla packs up front. Without a motor there is plenty of room up front for a decent pack.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine has chewed up universal joints, but they should have all been replaced when I did the resto anyway. I've been through one differential and the 2nd one is making noise so I have it in to be rebuilt. The existing diff is up to what an AC50 can put out because the same basic diff, half shafts etc. were used in the 6 cyl 120 ft-lbs GT6.
My Spitfire's differential is making a progressively increasing racket. I'm going to have to rebuild/replace it sometime soon. I think the instant torque from the DC motor is pushing it beyond what it can bear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not only that, but below an excellent photo of yours of the Spitfire chassis from behind (from your E-Fire build thread). I took the liberty of downloading and re-uploading this image, so it would display here in a small version.

All of that structure between the frame rails would be in the way of a Tesla drive unit. It could be replaced by something fabricated to arch over the drive unit, but with the spring attached only to the differential, in the conversion this arch would also need to pass directly over the axle line and carry the load of the rear of the vehicle... while fitting in the non-existent space between the drive unit's differential housing (likely bigger than the Triumph housing) and the spring. In the stock configuration, the spring carries the weight of the car through the diff housing, and the diff carries the car by bolts in the middle at the rear (to that box of crossmember) and by a mount that spans across the frame rails at the front.

For those considering a complete Leaf drive unit, I'll note that where those white frame rails start to converge around the front of the final drive unit (diff) is where the Leaf motor would need to sit. :eek:

I would use my own Spitfire (actually my wife's) for illustration, but being lazy compared to all of these fine DIY builders, ours still has the body on it... and a dead engine in it. :D Thanks to those who have shared their build experience! :)
Making that type of a modification would be a fair amount of work... which is not something unheard of in the EV conversion world.

Example of a gent who converted a Spit to use a Miata rear end. Some fabrication for sure, not easy, but not impossible either. Balancing the weakness of the Spit diff when driven by an electric motor, this might overall be a better approach. I'm seriously considering re-working my Spitfire to something like this.... but nobody has ever accused me of doing anything the easy way... :)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.