DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

We recently completed a conversion of a 1981 DeLorean. Photos and details are below:

The build incorporates the following major components:

EVO Electric AFM140 Axial Flux Motor

- Water Cooled Permanent Magnet Synchronous
- Torque = 500Nm from 0 to 3500rpm
- Power = 165kWpk 75kWnom (About 135kW in this set-up)

Tritium Wavesculptor 200 Motor Contoller

- Water Cooled Inverter
- Output = 165kVApk

A123 Systems Lithium Ion Nanophosphate Battery Modules

- 450Vpk 415Vnom 60Ah
- Tritium BMS

Brusa Battery Charger

All components communicate using CANbus. The pretty blue fans have radiators behind them to cool the motor and the controller.

For more details and photos on the construction see:

DMCEV Facebook Page

YouTube Video of Test Run

NBN News Story on our Electric DeLorean

Cheers,
Sutho

Solar Power Australia

·
Registered
143 Posts
Showoff!

I don't think I could be more green with envy :D. Now, to just have a Mr. Fusion installed, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
WOW, that thing looks fast!

Can you post or PM me the pricing of the motor and rinehart controller please?

Found the dyno on the facebook page, hope you don't mind....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very well done!

what is he 0-60mph time? any idea or estimates?
Haven't really tested it yet, but I'm confident that it would be less than 8 sec. It feels better than that though...particularly the acceleration up to 40mph.

Will get back to you....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't really tested it yet, but I'm confident that it would be less than 8 sec. It feels better than that though...particularly the acceleration up to 40mph.

Will get back to you....
Done a few runs tonight. Using a pretty inaccurate method of stopwatch on an iPhone and watching the laggy speedo needle 100km/h comes up in 6 to 7 secs.

I'm gonna need a VBox or similar to get a more accurate figure. Anyone have any suggestions on any other gadgets that can accurately measure acceleration runs?

Sutho

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it looks like there are some iPhone apps to measure car acceleration, etc. What are people using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice work
Do you have variable regen working on the Rinehart ?
And what do you think about Tritium wave sculptors
Dan
Yes....have variable regen working. Primarily using the retardation function on the accel pedal. Works really well and I barely ever use the brakes.

The Tritium Wavesculptor took a lot of work to get going as it would repeatedly trip with some kind of error. I eventually got it stable and it worked quite well. Tritium were quite supportive during the process. The Rinehart we are using puts out 450Arms as opposed to the Wavesculptor's 300Arms, so there is an obvious performance difference.

Cheers,
Sutho

Ps Your bike looks like a weapon with that quad motor!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Ps Your bike looks like a weapon with that quad motor!
Thanks, I almost put the same Rinehart in my bike but went with 2 low voltage Kellys.

I have a friend (Ben) who is putting !!! 2 !!! of those Evos in a Magna of all things, with a tritium. Do you think he will need the gearbox (5 speed) or should he just chain straight to the diff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a friend (Ben) who is putting !!! 2 !!! of those Evos in a Magna of all things, with a tritium. Do you think he will need the gearbox (5 speed) or should he just chain straight to the diff.
That's gonna be a very expensive Magna! I imagine it's the RWD variant?

My opinion is that he wouldn't need a gearbox. With a single EVO, I run around in 3rd and 4th (1:1)....only drop back to 2nd to smoke the tyres. With 2 EVOs even 3rd would probably be a little pointless.

He'll probably have to consider what top speed, hence diff ratio, he wants as the EVO's are limited to 5000rpm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Managed to do a few runs to get a better idea of the performance of this conversion. In non-ideal conditions, using the Dynolicious Fusion app, the results were as per below.

The app didn't include a DeLorean in it's library, so a 1981 Lotus Esprit was selected as the body shape is much the same. Weights, etc. were adjusted to match real world figures.

What is interesting is that the power figure calculated on the 4th gear run exactly matches the actual measured dyno figures which were also done in 4th gear....

Not too bad considering a standard V6 DeLorean achieves a 0-96kmh in 10.5 sec.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That's gonna be a very expensive Magna! I imagine it's the RWD variant?
False alarm, its only one motor so he will be keeping the box. FWD
I was confused because I saw what looked like a second EVO sitting in the passenger footwell of his car, was actually the adapter plate !!! which weighs 16kg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts