DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about converting my Rabbit into a greener car! I was thinking about Bio-Diesel or Hybrid but then I saw the Tesla Roadster and realized that EV's have come a long way! Ok so this is what I am wanting:

at least 100 miles per charge
at least 75 mph
and possibly a full charge overnight

I would love to hear feedback as to how to reach this goal. I would like to keep it on the cheaper side but realize that you get what you pay for so I am willing to spend more if needed for quality!

If you need anymore info from me to get this Thread rolling then let me know!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/vrdonor.shtml

This kit can get you an adequate motor and adapter to get 75mph top speed but most of the rest of the kit will not work in your case because of your desired performance parameters. The kit is designed for 96V lead acid which isn't going to give you the range or performance you want . To get there you will need lithium batteries and a higher voltage, higher capacity battery and compatible controller, charger, DC/DC etc.

To get 100 miles of range in that car (at 55 to 60mph) you will need about 25kwH usable battery capacity, or at least 30KwH nominal capacity with lithium. 300V at 100AH or 156V at 200AH would give this capacity.

Full overnight charge would be no problem with a 240V charger like a manzanita. 110V charger won't cut it for overnight charging with that big of a battery.

While eminently doable this won't be a "cheap" conversion. You are looking at $20-$30K for the components; the single biggest chunk being the batteries.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts