DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the site and new to EV conversions. I have a 1983 Plymouth scamp that I am going to convert to electric and am having some trouble finding info on something and need all the help I can get. I have a forklift motor 11 inch from a Mitsubishi lift and it is a GE motor. Do I need to change the timing on the motor or will it work as it is? Also what are some places to find used EV parts that I can't find here? I plan to use 144V what would be a good amp rating for the controller? I was thinking 300-500 but I'm not sure if that would be right or not, could I use a lower maybe 200amp or should I be higher? Any advice and comment's for any is appreciated!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I may have some bias, but i like the vehicle. I had planned on a Dodge Rampage but decided to keep it gas powered and convert a different truck.

With how few Scamp trucklettes were sold (1983 only) and how few of them remain now, you could end up with the only one converted to EV.

There are a couple of Dodge Rampage conversions on evalbum.com, as well as this conversion on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/pages/catego...page-Electric-Car-Conversion-138641279641731/

I'm early into my own conversion using Nissan Leaf components and haven't dealt with any suppliers yet, so I am not much help with your questions, but I wish you luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have some bias, but i like the vehicle. I had planned on a Dodge Rampage but decided to keep it gas powered and convert a different truck.

With how few Scamp trucklettes were sold (1983 only) and how few of them remain now, you could end up with the only one converted to EV.

There are a couple of Dodge Rampage conversions on evalbum.com, as well as this conversion on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/pages/catego...page-Electric-Car-Conversion-138641279641731/

I'm early into my own conversion using Nissan Leaf components and haven't dealt with any suppliers yet, so I am not much help with your questions, but I wish you luck!
Thanks for the info I appreciate all I can get I'll look into what you mentioned!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also considered Nissan leaf parts to do my project with also but seems high and hard to find around my area. My scamp is actually the GT version really wanted to restore it so I'm making my conversion a little harder on me by keeping as much of the car in it's stock set up as possible so it could be changed back if wanted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts