168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the site and planning to convert a 1984 VW Rabbit

I have no experience with car mechanics

Things i want

-60-70 mph
-at least 30 miles per charge
-all parts (except car body) less than $5000 if possible

I've been looking at electro automotive's conversion kit for VW rabbit and it is priced at like $10000.

If someone around here has done a similar project, it would be great to see their parts.

I've been looking around and understand the basics, but i feel lost when it comes to getting parts.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
778 Posts
Jake
Give these folks a call:
http://e-volks.com/kit3.html

Their 120 volt kit is less than $4700.00 and you could talk to them about
fabricating a coupler and adaptor plate for your Rabbit.
You can get EGC 8volt Energizers at Sams Club for about $1100 for 15 batteries.
You should be able to do the whole conversion for less than $6500.00

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't the kit come with batteries? or are you saying i should get the sams club ones in addition to the kit.

Also isn't it cheaper overall to not use a kit.

I live near an EV parts retailer, so i could avoid large shipping costs if i bought the parts individually.

Thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
778 Posts
Kit does not come with batteries but even adding in the $1100 it's still way less expensive than $10,000.00

Print out their parts list and take it to your local EV parts retailer....see if they could do better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was thinking about going with the warp 9 motor, however if i go with the kit it comes with ES-31B Series Motor 90 HP Peak, how do they compare?

G

·
0 Posts
Well you need to find some used parts around and find someone that will do an adaptor and you should stay with a clutch. With a decent used 9" GE or ADC motor you should get your distance if you go with 120 volts of 6 volt batteries. The car is small and you are limited on space. Controllers are available and some even used. I did my conversion for under $5K. So can you. Check out my conversion. Mine will do 85 mph and maybe a tad more but won't go 35 miles at hwy speeds quite yet. I have gotten about 30 so far at 50/55 mph but that was when it was warmer. Lithium would be best. Those will come next.

Pete :)

G

·
0 Posts
Craigslist, Ebay, EVDL and other EV sites. Found mine on both EVDL and Craigslist.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks, i had never heard of EVDL ill give that a look.

What's your opinoin on Voltswagon's suggestion on using the kit?

I'm reluctant to use the because it offers no customization

·
Registered
778 Posts
Omonoid
It does offer customization. You don't have to buy everything from them.
I bought my Controller and Pedal from Kelly not their Curtis.
You can edit the price list.

As for the Warp 9...it's a very powerful motor with a powerful price tag.

Also the ES-31B motor is not 90 hp peak as they suggest. The manufacturer, D&D Motors rates it at 49 hp......more than enough to get your Rabbit up to 65mph.

G

·
0 Posts
I suggested the 90 to 93 year as they have driver airbags. Over all they are the better ones of the body design before you get into the new body style in 95. No Cabriolet for 94.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I originally wanted to avoid cabriolet's due to the convertible aspect since i live in spokane which gets alot of snow in the winter, but then i thought i probably wont even use my EV in the winter because dont batteries suck in the cold? or does it not really make a difference

G

·
0 Posts
No trouble using a hardtop. The Cabriolet has the enclosed trunk space that will hold the batteries vs batteries being in the back of a hatchback. That was my thinking. I'd prefer an enclosed area like a trunk. The Ghia does not provide that and those batteries are in with you. Ouch. It works but........ There are many cars to choose from. The VW is only one of many to choose from with your needs in mind and for a decent price too. I just prefer the VW. But others are on my list. I even thought of using a Eclipse Spyer or Hardtop. It screams electric too. Still not family friendly but it sure is cool. Any sedan should do just fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts