DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Would it be possible to salvage the floor from the Leaf and transplant it to the Golf?
As noted earlier:
A Leaf floor obviously won't fit a Golf, but a similar shape could be custom-built, even using some of the Leaf floor panel. The Leaf has 300 mm (a foot) longer wheelbase than the Golf, so even with a custom floor the Leaf pack is unlikely to fit intact - either the back end runs into the rear suspension or the front end blocks the front seat footwell, or both.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
However the battery pack doesn’t strech all the way. It may still be possible and at least worth checking.
View attachment 126857
So imagine the floor much shorter, in a Golf... and that stack of modules under the Leaf's front seat ending up under the driver's feet. :oops:

But yes, certainly check out the details, preferably in drawings, photos, or 3D models (not by chopping up cars to then throw away the pieces) to be sure - perhaps you could come up with something workable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Early VWs also have very little interior height clearance and low, thin floors. I'm researching similar setup options for my own potential project and even adding an inch or two to the floor might lead to either significant headroom loss or road clearance issues, or both, and there isn't much of either to begin with. I own a MK2 but intend to use an A1 chassis for a conversion which will make it even harder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
For those tracking.. my current progress. Motor, et al out.

Next step will to get it to run on the "bench". Then figure out how to get into VW Cab. Not sure I can do the traction pack as is so most likely will require disassembly and reconfiguration. What / how I do not know. :)

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Engineering

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

21 - 26 of 26 Posts