DIY Electric Car Forums banner
441 - 460 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Did some work last night on the suspension.

So the coil overs I had, though height adjustable, were still too short. So the next natural thing to do was get taller springs.

Teins didn't sell them but Eibach springs had the same spring rate, inner diameter, and we're taller.

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive wheel system

Here they are on the shocks
Automotive tire Coil Coil spring Suspension Shock absorber

Note it's currently maxed on in height in that picture, when I drop the adjustment to the bottom, it's a very good height.

Spring rate is good. Height is good.

Also replace the pan hard bar since it gives me adjustment whenever I get around to alignment.

Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood Bumper Flooring

It's like Christmas down here.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Today the CRX sticker from carstickers came in and it's definitely much higher quality
White Black Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font

Electric CRX
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Got some response on my wanted post for a 40kwh BMS so I'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
Ok so 2018 BMS definitely has an issue with Battery Current Sensor because they're different.

2018 Current Sensor wiring and pinout

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Diagram

2013 24kwh Current Sensor:
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern

Redoing a full analysis on the all wiring and pins.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 · (Edited)
My analysis is that the internal battery harness, current sensor, and battery junction box are different. The junction box has no wires that go to LBC so there are no issue as long as the harness and junction box match.

There are minor differences between the 2013 and 2018 harness around only the current sensor and battery junction box.

The key issue is the current sensor for 2013 and 2018 is 3 vs 4 wires, for 1 current sensor vs 2 current sensors. The 2013 sensor has 4 pins but only 3 are being used. I'm wondering if they're the "same" sensor or different from the 2018 40kwh. Is there a sensor 2 I can connect to in the existing sensor or if I need to get a new sensor. I'm going to see if I can tap the last pin. I can't tell if the plug is the same between 2013 and 2018 but based on the diagram, they move voltage and ground from pin 3 & 2 to pin 1 & 2.

But what's interesting is there is no DTC for current sensor 1. Only current sensor 2. Is the last pin current sensor 2 unused? If not, can current sensor 1 be fed to both current 1&2 inputs on the LBC? Will that allow the 40kwh LBC/BMS to be used?

Probably will experiment tonight.

Also misc update is that I tried driving to 0% but never really encountered turtle mode

Azure Blue Font Rectangle Slope

Based on Dala's documentation on another forum, the 30kwh battery can go down to 3.1 voltage before it goes turtle
Sky Font Circle Darkness Monochrome photography

So technically, I still have unused range based on the voltage.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Look at the 2013 sensor signal with respect to GND and see if it goes negative with regen/charge and positive in discharge.

If it does, then you could ground one of the sensor signal leads from the 2018 (you'll have to experiment which one to get the correct polarity for discharge & regen/charge) to get the 2013 BMS happy.

Don't just ground those signal lead pairs on the 2018 willy nilly. The negative voltage could fry the 2013 front end circuit if it's not designed for it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Look at the 2013 sensor signal with respect to GND and see if it goes negative with regen/charge and positive in discharge.

If it does, then you could ground one of the sensor signal leads from the 2018 (you'll have to experiment which one to get the correct polarity for discharge & regen/charge) to get the 2013 BMS happy.

Don't just ground those signal lead pairs on the 2018 willy nilly. The negative voltage could fry the 2013 front end circuit if it's not designed for it.
Yea, I was thinking of connecting an oscilloscope and checking what the output is.

Note that I've already connected the 2018 BMS as-is to the 2013 Current sensor and it in theory is correctly pinned for voltage, ground, current sensor 1 because I'm still using the 2013 harness. So all I'd need to do is probe the unused pin. There is no wiring for it so I'd have to add pins and run a wire for it.

2013 BMS2013 Current Sensor2018 BMS2013 Current Sensor
Current sensor 1104104
Voltage9292
Ground153153
Possible Current sensor 2?N/A1111

I can also probe sensor 1 and get an idea of what sensor 2 should output. Once this is confirmed that pin 1 actually outputs something, I could at that point decide if I want to connect it to the 2018 BMS.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
The extra pin 1 in the 2013 current sensor doesn't output anything. I however was able to clear the Current Sensor DTC by outputting Current Sensor 1 to both wires (for 1 & 2). The DTC was cleared but the DTCs for IPDM and Combination switch remained and I'm guessing that prevented me from fully starting the car.

I asked Isak, creator of the Resolve-EV, what the requirements were to start since the 2013 BMS works and the 2018 BMS doesn't. Mainly what are these various controllers looking for and also any examples of conversions that were 2018+. I'm mainly curious if they had issues with the combination switch since I doubt many people did a "mix n match" approach I did. In the worst case scenario, I wonder if I need the PDM from a 2018 motor in order for the 40kwh battery to work.

Alternatively, I wonder if I can execute a MITM (Man in the middle) where either the 24kwh or the 40kwh BMS are tricked into working and thus clearing the problem entirely. That however would require that I am able to spoof all the missing messages.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
For reference since I didn't know until today, you can load custom screens in Leafspy Pro on Android by placing CSV files inside of this file path:
\Android\data\com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro\files\CUSTOM SCREENS

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Got some help from Isak from Resolve-EV and looked over these screens:

This is the 2018 BMS screen:
Font Line Screenshot Technology Rectangle

And this is the 2013 BMS screen:
Azure Font Line Rectangle Screenshot

I'm guessing the Bat Amps is reading too high. When I checked it should be around .3 A

Automotive tire Orange Musical instrument accessory Hood Bumper

So in short, the current sensor is still an issue. I did order a 2018 current sensor but it looks like the order will take a bit of time to arrive. 2013 sensor outputs 3.75V and when I tried to use an oscilloscope, there wasn't much variation. I'm guessing the 2018 sensors are quite different.

What will be interesting is then is that once I switch to the 2018 sensor, I won't be able to use the 2013 BMS which will be okay if it works but will be problematic if it doesn't work. The pin placement will also be different on the sensor itself so I'll need to address that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
Its about time I get my axles made. So I pulled my axles.

Car is back up in the air.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Removed the axle nuts while it was on the ground this time.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

And Axles are out! Looks like they held up pretty well to 80mph and some acceleration tests
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Bicycle part

Welds are slightly ugly and I didn't even bother to paint it lol. Looks like it held up strong though.
Automotive tire Wood Line Bicycle part Bicycle fork

In case anyone was wondering, the black ring on the intermediate shaft has two magnets in order to "trigger" my speed hall sensor. Essentially I feed this into the Dakota Digital device and calculate speed using it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Machine tool

So before I send my axles off to be machined, which might take 2-3 months, I'm going to make a second pair. Blue tape marks the cut.
Light Wood Automotive tire Auto part Gas

I've lost the pipe I used last time somewhere so I suppose I'll just have to buy another one tomorrow. Here you can see the cuts are done and some angle has been grinded to help them "mate" up better.

White Light Bicycle part Sports equipment Engineering

After this I tried to see if I could remove the CV inner and outer joints themselves but I couldn't figure out how to pull the shaft out from the joint as the join is holding it in with a dimple.

Unless someone else has better experience or knows otherwise, I'll be searching for a solution to disassemble to shaft from the joints.

Also after over a month, parts required to install the ibooster has finally arrived.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Reference for later when I get the current sensor

2013 BMS2013 Current Sensor2018 BMS2018 Current Sensor
Current sensor 1104104
Voltage9291
Ground153152
Current sensor 2N/AN/A113

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
More axle work. Picked up a steel pipe. Called up some shops but no one in the bay area apparently disassemble CV Axle Joints anymore... so I guess I'm on my own here...

Since I did this "outside" the car, I was able to cut the axles to the exactly length and thus weld them together directly.

Missed a few photos but you can see here that after I welded and sanded them together, they're pretty solid even before adding the pipe for reinforcement.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Bumper

I'll then slide the pipe over, weld it to reinforce the it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Asphalt Electrical wiring

Probably not going to grind it down too much so that the welds stay as strong as possible.

Here you can see old and new side by side
Product Wood Gas Auto part Metal

You probably can't tell from the photos but these new ones are much straighter and more centered than the earlier versions.

Now if someone can tell me how to disassemble the CV Inner Joint that goes into the Leaf that'll be awesome. It has a dimple or angle, which prevents the bearings from sliding out and I haven't figure out a way to remove the axle other than one source that says I have to grind the joint dimple.

Source/example:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
Do you have much torque steer? Nice work on the axles they look great.
Nothing noticable. I recall a lot of advice that I try to keep the axles at the same length by centering the transmission so the axles are matching length. From a glance, it seems I wasn't perfect but its seems close enough that it's minimal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
Still waiting on Nissan to ship me that 2018 current sensor.

On a separate note, I'm doing a side project where I'm adding active sound to the car but I need to figure out if I can get the throttle position from the canbus or if I have to get it directly from the accelerator pedal.

I might have to ask Isak.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
Current sensor came in finally!

Purple Wood Violet Rectangle Office supplies

Out of anticipation, I went to test it.

They're definitely different. The 2018 version of is slight thicker and they're using copper now. And that piece is also longer.

Pliers Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Asphalt

You can see their model numbers are different and located at different locations

Font Gas Auto part Metal Electric blue

Temporary wire modification in order to test the current sensor. I swear I'm going to run it correctly shortly after a sanity test.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

And it works!

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Plot Font

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

The resolve EV controller, upon seeing the current, works!

I'm going to replace the harness while I'm at it so I'll address that tonight after work.

Conclusion:

In order to bruteforce upgrade from 24kwh to 40kwh with just modules, you need to:
1. Upgrade the BMS to 2018
2. Upgrade the Current Sensor to 2018
3. Modify the wiring so you can use the 2018 sensor.

And from that, the BMS and controller should correctly recognize the 40kwh battery!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Be careful using nitrile gloves around electronics. The devices you don't kill with ESD can have sigificantly foreshortened lifetimes.

During humid summers it's not as big of a deal, but wearing plastic/rubber gloves or putting boards on plastic is bad practice, particularly around mos semiconductors.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
Just redid the battery wiring.

I had ordered a 2013 HV battery harness from Nissan, as well as a 2018 HV battery harness when I was trying to figure out the issue.

I merged the two by de-pinning the current sensor 4 wires going from sensor to 2018 BMS, and transfered it to the 2013 harness, thus avoiding the need to splice or cut or solder.

If anyone recalls, I had chopped my harness going to the battery and connected it directly and I had always planned to fix that so I ordered a connector with pins from EVs enchanced:

Audio equipment Font Cable Magenta Wire

Essentially I cut and repinned the old wiring with connector and now it plugs into the new harness. All clean.

Tested it again and the car is definitely 40kwh now. I just probably need to drive around and get the BMS to learn the SOH and see where that puts me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 ·
Checklist update.

Completed items:
  • Balance 40kwh battery before install
  • Upgrade battery from 24kwh to 40kwh (install)
  • Upgrade battery BMS from 2013 to 2018
  • Upgrade battery current sensor from 2013 to 2018
  • Modify battery harness to support new current sensor
  • Test Thor active sound (didn't work)
  • Remove axles and make a spare set
  • Reinstall welded axles
  • Get DMV registration done (registered)
To-do
  • Go to DMV again so they can update the title to reflect vehicle is power by "Electric"
  • Drive to Cycle and top balance 40kwh battery
  • install active sound hardware/wiring
  • Interpret resolve EV CANBUS and Spoof canbus for active sound to work
  • Disassemble axles to send
  • Send axles to Colorado for fabrication
  • install ibooster brake system
  • Install new custom machined axles
  • Install HVAC and AC? (Requires accelerator pedal modification due to clearance issues) Heatpump?
  • Add cabin airfilter? (Didn't come with OEM)
  • Decode Insight Canbus and Leaf Canbus to display Leaf data on Insight cluster
  • Build/source decoder/repeater to load data on insight cluster
  • Design battery relocation and frame reinforcement
  • Relocate batteries by reinforcing frame, fabricating battery box
  • Fabricate new recovered trunk/cargo space
  • Upgrade tires for low rolling resistance?
  • Clean and repaint engine bay?

441 - 460 of 474 Posts