DIY Electric Car Forums banner
261 - 280 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Thinking about mounting the PDM upside down. That way I can mount additional things over it easily and reach the wiring easily. Anyone think there will be issues?

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Battery was covered while I was cutting the spare tire mount.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 · (Edited)
Bulletproof the HV connection going out to the motor if you go upside down on the PDM is all I can think of. It may get exposed to abuse from stuff on the trunk floor.
I actually have it lifted slightly on some rubber bumpers so that should be good. The conduits are definitely bullet proofed. I just finished wrapping the EMI shield. I just need to ground it and drill some holes to run it into the back now.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

Also just began to wrap the inverter to motor conduits with EMI shielding as well. I need to lift the battery to finish...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior

I'm now pondering how to run the coolant to the PDM in the back. I'm think some really long hoses plus 2 copper pipes. The hoses are 3/4 and if I can get equivalent pipes and run them, it might be a bit easier... Maybe..

I have a single weekend remaining and some weeknights... I wonder if I'll finish in time. Maybe I should take a day off of work.

I still need to mount this stack of 8 modules somewhere...

Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Over the 24 stack or over the inverter? Hmm...

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Misc question, should the kills switch be on the positive or negative side of the battery? For the conduit that runs from the back battery to the front battery and then back, I have 2 kill switches but which side should I each be? I was thinking one in the back and one in the front each on the positive end but is that really safe?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Technically, the kills should be two pole and disconnect both sides....the HV is not chassis bonded on either side is why.

See if you can find some 3/4 aluminum thin wall tubing for your coolant runs. Probably want to pipe wrap them in insulation. For now, copper will do, though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Managed to get a bit more done today.

Initially I was going to try and extend the BMS wires but it turns out my spool of 100ft 26awg 300v pvc wiring ran out. I ordered a few more and hopefully they'll come in on time. I'm really envying those builds where the battery are all in one place because this is a pain to run.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Technology

Next since I started really late, I made mocks for all the mounts I need left.

Particularly:
  1. Battery mount for the 8 modules
  2. 4 more inverter brackets and mounts
  3. Base plate for battery modules
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic engineering Gadget Computer hardware

Lots to do remaining.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Another evening of work after work.

I went ahead and cut and grinded all that steel and drill a bunch of holes.

Wood Art Font Wall Road surface

Partially welded
Wood Flooring Sculpture Art Metal

More welding

Road surface Cross Wood Font Asphalt

Bolted to the lower pack. This will form a base for the 8 modules above.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Flight instruments Cockpit

I also cut and drilled out some mounts for the inverter:
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas Bumper

The back mount is solid.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

The drivers side mount could use some more work but the concept is there. Its bolted out into the driver side motor mount.

Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

I still need to bolt these two lower inverter mounts down as well
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Tomorrow I'll have to bolt down this base into the brackets I made.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

The general idea:
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive battery Motor vehicle

All those brackets cutting and welding took the whole evening.

Probably not going to finish in time. Considering that I should just cancel the appointment and get a moving permit when the car is ready rather than rush.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
As long as there isn't a two or three month backlog of appointments, doing it right is better than doing it over again in my book. But, it's your time...

The appointment has definitely lit a fire under your azz in terms of how much you're getting done. Maybe we should all make appointments? 😂

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
As long as there isn't a two or three month backlog of appointments, doing it right is better than doing it over again in my book. But, it's your time...

The appointment has definitely lit a fire under your azz in terms of how much you're getting done. Maybe we should all make appointments? 😂
That was essentially the intent. I've seen many swaps take several years. And most projects fizzle out and never get completed.

Most likely I'm going to just delay it a bit to buy myself more time but will still give myself a deadline.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
I had delayed the inspection after my last post and good thing since I definitely wouldn't have finished.

Got some stuff done this weekend.
First I finally sold off the Leaf shell to pick-n-pull so I now have a driveway back.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Next I originally mounted the power distribution but then replaced it with a larger plywood board so I can mount the other parts:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Finally I made brackets and mounted the shifter.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Auto part

Not shown, I ran some test wires to verify the length I would need to extend the BMS wires. Its going to be a painful to extend...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
After a bit of a break and a lot of back and forth debating, since I have time now, I'm going to pull out all the stuff I've setup in the back and prepare to build the battery box.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

From a glance, my biggest issue will be that the 24 modules will impact both brake lines and suspension. I'm not exactly looking to scope leap and modify the suspension and brake lines so likely I'll take out 2 modules from the 24 stack which in theory should allow it to fit.

First off, to pull everything back out. Separating the battery modules is feasible but it really sucks the amount of work it creates with wiring and all. Being able to place all the batteries in a single location would be much easier. A part of me wonders if there is a way to consolidate the batteries into one area but the only thing comes to mind is a bigger scope leap of moving the motor to the back and putting all the batteries in the front. Or putting all the batteries in the back and the entire motor PDM in the front and batteries in the back but that makes the car 50-50 which doesn't work well for a fwd.

I don't know to much about suspension work so not sure how either would pan out.

·
Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
11 Posts
just catching up on this thread. My son and I are trying to convert a Porsche 924S using a leaf motor and everything in this thread looks like it will be super helpful to us. (thread is here but not much up yet: Introducing our 1987 Porsche 924S EV Conversion). One difference for us is that we are thinking we will put the motor in the back and try to put as many batteries as we can in the front. I have a feeling we will still need some in the back though, so I have a feeling that I will be sharing in your pain of splitting the batteries up. I wish there was some way to run the leaf motor and not need so many packs so that you could just have less range... but I'm guessing you need them all to have a high enough voltage that the leaf inverter wants. In any case, thanks so much for this thread! Really excited to see some future updates.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
You can run lower voltage, but adding an additional pack is so mice-nuts in extra effort when you look at the grand scheme of things.

The car also needs to sit level, ideally without futzing with replacement springs & shocks. Front heavy cars totally suck in terms of fun in driving, which is half the point in building a car, isn't it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
just catching up on this thread. My son and I are trying to convert a Porsche 924S using a leaf motor and everything in this thread looks like it will be super helpful to us. (thread is here but not much up yet: Introducing our 1987 Porsche 924S EV Conversion). One difference for us is that we are thinking we will put the motor in the back and try to put as many batteries as we can in the front. I have a feeling we will still need some in the back though, so I have a feeling that I will be sharing in your pain of splitting the batteries up. I wish there was some way to run the leaf motor and not need so many packs so that you could just have less range... but I'm guessing you need them all to have a high enough voltage that the leaf inverter wants. In any case, thanks so much for this thread! Really excited to see some future updates.
I've read that some people are able to run a custom inverter and that the rearrange the battery for more power or more range.

Since you're swapping a Porsche, you might want to follow this guy who also swapped a leaf into his Porsche

261 - 280 of 360 Posts