DIY Electric Car Forums banner
441 - 449 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Did some work last night on the suspension.

So the coil overs I had, though height adjustable, were still too short. So the next natural thing to do was get taller springs.

Teins didn't sell them but Eibach springs had the same spring rate, inner diameter, and we're taller.

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive wheel system

Here they are on the shocks
Automotive tire Coil Coil spring Suspension Shock absorber

Note it's currently maxed on in height in that picture, when I drop the adjustment to the bottom, it's a very good height.

Spring rate is good. Height is good.

Also replace the pan hard bar since it gives me adjustment whenever I get around to alignment.

Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood Bumper Flooring

It's like Christmas down here.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Today the CRX sticker from carstickers came in and it's definitely much higher quality
White Black Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font

Electric CRX
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Got some response on my wanted post for a 40kwh BMS so I'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
Ok so 2018 BMS definitely has an issue with Battery Current Sensor because they're different.

2018 Current Sensor wiring and pinout

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Diagram

2013 24kwh Current Sensor:
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern

Redoing a full analysis on the all wiring and pins.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 · (Edited)
My analysis is that the internal battery harness, current sensor, and battery junction box are different. The junction box has no wires that go to LBC so there are no issue as long as the harness and junction box match.

There are minor differences between the 2013 and 2018 harness around only the current sensor and battery junction box.

The key issue is the current sensor for 2013 and 2018 is 3 vs 4 wires, for 1 current sensor vs 2 current sensors. The 2013 sensor has 4 pins but only 3 are being used. I'm wondering if they're the "same" sensor or different from the 2018 40kwh. Is there a sensor 2 I can connect to in the existing sensor or if I need to get a new sensor. I'm going to see if I can tap the last pin. I can't tell if the plug is the same between 2013 and 2018 but based on the diagram, they move voltage and ground from pin 3 & 2 to pin 1 & 2.

But what's interesting is there is no DTC for current sensor 1. Only current sensor 2. Is the last pin current sensor 2 unused? If not, can current sensor 1 be fed to both current 1&2 inputs on the LBC? Will that allow the 40kwh LBC/BMS to be used?

Probably will experiment tonight.

Also misc update is that I tried driving to 0% but never really encountered turtle mode

Azure Blue Font Rectangle Slope

Based on Dala's documentation on another forum, the 30kwh battery can go down to 3.1 voltage before it goes turtle
Sky Font Circle Darkness Monochrome photography

So technically, I still have unused range based on the voltage.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Look at the 2013 sensor signal with respect to GND and see if it goes negative with regen/charge and positive in discharge.

If it does, then you could ground one of the sensor signal leads from the 2018 (you'll have to experiment which one to get the correct polarity for discharge & regen/charge) to get the 2013 BMS happy.

Don't just ground those signal lead pairs on the 2018 willy nilly. The negative voltage could fry the 2013 front end circuit if it's not designed for it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Look at the 2013 sensor signal with respect to GND and see if it goes negative with regen/charge and positive in discharge.

If it does, then you could ground one of the sensor signal leads from the 2018 (you'll have to experiment which one to get the correct polarity for discharge & regen/charge) to get the 2013 BMS happy.

Don't just ground those signal lead pairs on the 2018 willy nilly. The negative voltage could fry the 2013 front end circuit if it's not designed for it.
Yea, I was thinking of connecting an oscilloscope and checking what the output is.

Note that I've already connected the 2018 BMS as-is to the 2013 Current sensor and it in theory is correctly pinned for voltage, ground, current sensor 1 because I'm still using the 2013 harness. So all I'd need to do is probe the unused pin. There is no wiring for it so I'd have to add pins and run a wire for it.

2013 BMS2013 Current Sensor2018 BMS2013 Current Sensor
Current sensor 1104104
Voltage9292
Ground153153
Possible Current sensor 2?N/A1111

I can also probe sensor 1 and get an idea of what sensor 2 should output. Once this is confirmed that pin 1 actually outputs something, I could at that point decide if I want to connect it to the 2018 BMS.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
The extra pin 1 in the 2013 current sensor doesn't output anything. I however was able to clear the Current Sensor DTC by outputting Current Sensor 1 to both wires (for 1 & 2). The DTC was cleared but the DTCs for IPDM and Combination switch remained and I'm guessing that prevented me from fully starting the car.

I asked Isak, creator of the Resolve-EV, what the requirements were to start since the 2013 BMS works and the 2018 BMS doesn't. Mainly what are these various controllers looking for and also any examples of conversions that were 2018+. I'm mainly curious if they had issues with the combination switch since I doubt many people did a "mix n match" approach I did. In the worst case scenario, I wonder if I need the PDM from a 2018 motor in order for the 40kwh battery to work.

Alternatively, I wonder if I can execute a MITM (Man in the middle) where either the 24kwh or the 40kwh BMS are tricked into working and thus clearing the problem entirely. That however would require that I am able to spoof all the missing messages.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
For reference since I didn't know until today, you can load custom screens in Leafspy Pro on Android by placing CSV files inside of this file path:
\Android\data\com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro\files\CUSTOM SCREENS

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Got some help from Isak from Resolve-EV and looked over these screens:

This is the 2018 BMS screen:
Font Line Screenshot Technology Rectangle

And this is the 2013 BMS screen:
Azure Font Line Rectangle Screenshot

I'm guessing the Bat Amps is reading too high. When I checked it should be around .3 A

Automotive tire Orange Musical instrument accessory Hood Bumper

So in short, the current sensor is still an issue. I did order a 2018 current sensor but it looks like the order will take a bit of time to arrive. 2013 sensor outputs 3.75V and when I tried to use an oscilloscope, there wasn't much variation. I'm guessing the 2018 sensors are quite different.

What will be interesting is then is that once I switch to the 2018 sensor, I won't be able to use the 2013 BMS which will be okay if it works but will be problematic if it doesn't work. The pin placement will also be different on the sensor itself so I'll need to address that.

441 - 449 of 449 Posts