DIY Electric Car Forums banner
141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
omg...a Ridgeline being used as a...truck???
I also discovered in this encounter the truck bed floor will lift open for more storage below. That was pretty neat.

Picture for example
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Guy was pulling straps and I was thinking I didn't know there was storage back there. (good place for batteries)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Since I didn't have metal to weld, I did some work on the wiring. If at all possible, I will try to use the Leaf harness because its newer and higher quality wiring that what I'd likely buy or maybe even have in the CRX.

To start, I was looking for the acceleration pedal connector and wiring but I ended up finding the OBD2 connector and since I'll need that anyways, I pulled it by the wiring and pins.

Textile Font Automotive design Electric blue Engineering

What I do is trace the wire to it's first connector and basically de-pin it rather than cut it. If anything I might even reuse some of these extra connectors since they're better than what I can buy.

De-pin is something like this:
Light Blue Green Electrical wiring Technology

I just pull a few tabs and pull the wiring and pin out from the plug.

Next up I actually got the acceleration pedal connector and wiring. Both of these will go direct to the Controller.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Cable Gas

I also went and printed out the entire Leaf wiring diagram from Mitchell.

Black Font Rectangle Schematic Wood

Do it Yourself Automobile Repair Manuals - Mitchell 1 DIY is where you can go and get it. From there just choose print all and save it as a PDF.

Font Material property Handwriting Office equipment Paper

I like to know what each wire does to best make sense of what I'm wiring.

On that note I found out that the PDM and Inverter CAN-H and CAN-L pairs are actually linked to each other. Turns out the get joined on the way to the connector so I sent a message to Isak asking if I need to entirely split them or I can leave them joined and split them later for the controller.

PDM and Inverter Connectors
Sleeve Bag Personal protective equipment Electric blue Pattern

Here you see the blue and green wires are being joined together.
Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire Electronic device

They both output to a single pair here:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

On another note, for anyone seeking to separate the PDM and Inverter, you'll find that the default harness has the plug for both literally next to each other. In reality, once you peel back the electrical tape and looms, you'll find they can be separated quite the distance:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Gas

There is also a wire set that goes directly from Inverter to Motor so that's worth keeping in mind.

I'm probably going to need to decide where or how I'll place the PDM so I can tuck the wires cleanly.

If all goes well, I'll have steel pipes tomorrow and I'll weld those axles.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
349 Posts
I think you'll need to split the CAN wires out of those harnesses. The way the original LEAF works is that the CAN is shared all throughout the car normally but the Resolve-EV controller talks to each piece of hardware individually so each component has its own CAN circuit.

Also keep the OBDII plug, you can wire it into the Resolve-EV controller and use LeafSpy through it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I think you'll need to split the CAN wires out of those harnesses. The way the original LEAF works is that the CAN is shared all throughout the car normally but the Resolve-EV controller talks to each piece of hardware individually so each component has its own CAN circuit.

Also keep the OBDII plug, you can wire it into the Resolve-EV controller and use LeafSpy through it!
FYI, we could leave the CAN wires connected.

I got a response from Isak:
Hi!
Yeah it's a CAN network. So all the Leaf components are actually on the same two wires. I have just designed it that way so it would be easier for customers to connect everything if they were to have separate wires. You can just leave them joined and connect CAN-H and L to the Resolve controller.

Regards
Isak
I was working on wiring yesterday and did end up separating it but we could leave it connected otherwise. Good to know for anyone who gets the motor harness in its complete form.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Didn't get any work done today but ended up watching a 2 hour lesson on the Nissan Leaf Battery which helps with how daunting that whole part has been.

I had been thinking about how large is the battery? Will I be able to fit it in the car? I keep reading about the sequence of the modules, so is there mapping of what the sequence is? What is everything in there and what does it all do? How can I safely pull the battery? Can I fit any under the hood and how is it packed? What are the dimensions? Etc.

This video helped alleviate most of my concerns and gives me an overall idea of the battery. I'm aware there may be differences due to the year but it helps me understand better how I can separate the modules if I need to fit the batteries into the CRX.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Got a good amount done today.

First off, I finished sorting out the motor harness. I removed the parking connector, opened up the cylindrical parking motor on top of the transmission, and found a way to turn the gear to put the transmission in neutral.

On that note, the gear was literally a gear so I didn't have any of the right tools to turn it. I ended up disassembling the parking motor, fitting the gear in, and using misc tools to turn the motor which turned the parking gear. Its a single click (about quarter turn) to disengage the parking gear. I then turned both axles and found it was possible to turn them the same direction which confirms the parking gear has been disengaged.

Next off I spent most of the evening pulling out this connector from the engine bay harness. This part will wire up to the resolve-ev and essentially allow me to quickly disconnect the motor in future scenarios.

Electricity Computer hardware Electrical wiring Cable Electronic engineering

I then pulled the BMS connector and wiring as well:
Tire Wheel Blue Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Finally, the last supposed connector and wiring I'd need is for the electric water pump, which I pulled here:
Gas Art Woolen Electric blue Wool

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Speedometer plan and calibration is a success!

Using the Racepak hall sensor that I plan to install, which is then triggered by the Racepak 2 magnet ring which I plan to install on the intermediate shaft of the Nissan Leaf Axle, I then output that signal into the Dakota Digital SGI-100BT which allows me to convert the speed signal into any output and further calibrate it.

Prior to this test, I have verified that the drill, when turning a Honda VSS for a 1992 Civic to a 1992 Civic Cluster, at max speed would register as 76 MPH on the speedometer. Knowing that, I calibrated the speed output to 2.3 which bring the 2 magnet and hall sensor to register on the Insight Cluster as 76 MPH. This video is the bench test and proof of concept.

Parts Review:
Racepak 800-SS-MSC-5 Hall Effect Drive Shaft Sensor

Dakota Digital SGI-100BT Universal Speedometer and Tachometer Interface

RACEPAK 2 MAGNET SPLIT COLLAR 1.375" 2-magnet aluminum split collar

Knowing that the Intermediate shaft won't be moving around other than spinning, I will attach the magnet collar there, and mount the hall sensor above it to track the speed.

Another nice thing to note is that the Dakota Digital interface has bluetooth support. So it actually has a function where I can drive, enable GPS, and it will autocalibrate my speed. Something useful to know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
So after some quick measurements, I've estimated that I can definitely fit the batteries in the back of the CRX. I'm looking around and there seems to be a major point of building the battery box out of metal whether for fire, thermal, crashes, etc. I plan to build a metal battery box in the spare tire and fuel tank areas but considering short term vs long term, I plan to initially bolt down a large wooden board into the back to create a support level area, and then bolt down 2 sets of 24 batteries onto the wooden board. The short term intent is only to get my registration done.

After I will come back and build proper metal battery boxes that will recover my cargo space. Any red flags or anything I should be concerned about?

version 0.5 wood battery mount:
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

The battery box itself would require cutting into the back of the car, reinforcing and building out battery boxes positioned as follows:
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Box in the front takes over the fuel tank space. Box in the rear takes over the spare tire space.

based on some quick measurements, the images above are slightly "overestimated" size-wise. The batteries will actually take less space.

A few important things to note is that I very much need to ensure that I am not jeopardizing the structural integrity of a car that is already very small and light. Another thing I want to consider is if I can fit any batteries in the front to increase the weight to the wheels. With the layout above, its likely that the vehicle will be heavier in the rear since the motor is light in comparison.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
349 Posts
That Insight cluster is just so cool! Do you think you could get RPM working also?

The battery idea sounds good to me. I like the v1 concept. These cars are little tin cans, there won't be much metal back there to weld to. Just make sure you build the box strong enough and tie it into the body well enough that it won't come loose. Maybe use some backing plates. I was rear-ended in my 1g CRX and the rear bumper was pushed nearly all the way into my driver's seat. I was rear-ended by a Dodge Neon imagine if it was a bigger car. I wouldn't worry about adding too much weight just make it secure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
That Insight cluster is just so cool! Do you think you could get RPM working also?
I did in the past but I need a new input source for the RPM. Does the motor output anything I can tap safely? Otherwise I suppose I could just duplicate speed and calculate RPM.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
349 Posts
I did in the past but I need a new input source for the RPM. Does the motor output anything I can tap safely? Otherwise I suppose I could just duplicate speed and calculate RPM.
I was thinking you could use the exact same Racepak VSS that you are using for the speedo and just calibrate it for tacho. Split the signal between the two inputs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I was thinking you could use the exact same Racepak VSS that you are using for the speedo and just calibrate it for tacho. Split the signal between the two inputs.
Since it was on my mind, I went and did a proof of concept:

I couldn't embed the video since it's so short. I just need the ratio to calibrate.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
349 Posts
Since it was on my mind, I went and did a proof of concept:

I couldn't embed the video since it's so short. I just need the ratio to calibrate.
Let's goooooo!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
That seems like a reasonable plan, nicely described, but...
With the layout above, its likely that the vehicle will be heavier in the rear since the motor is light in comparison.
Yes, and that's really not a good thing with front wheel drive, equal-sized tires, and suspension tuning which assumes a forward weight bias.

I realize that we all prefer the CRX to another Civic body style, but when stuffing in all this battery a Civic hatchback would probably handle better if it could accommodate all of the battery ahead of the rear axle (sacrificing the rear seat). The only way to get all of the battery within the wheelbase while still in the rear of a CRX would be to stack it up in two layers, leaving a short trunk (and a deep one if the spare is omitted) - the extra height would be unfortunate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
That seems like a reasonable plan, nicely described, but...

Yes, and that's really not a good thing with front wheel drive, equal-sized tires, and suspension tuning which assumes a forward weight bias.

I realize that we all prefer the CRX to another Civic body style, but when stuffing in all this battery a Civic hatchback would probably handle better if it could accommodate all of the battery ahead of the rear axle (sacrificing the rear seat). The only way to get all of the battery within the wheelbase while still in the rear of a CRX would be to stack it up in two layers, leaving a short trunk (and a deep one if the spare is omitted) - the extra height would be unfortunate.
It is possible, if I am able to reinforce and utilize the space where the fuel tank used to be, to place the batteries in front of the rear wheel axle. The v1 design essentially has the front battery taking over the space where the fuel tank was. I suppose if I double stacked 24+24 vertically then I would have all batteries in front of that rear wheel axle.

In humor, I wonder if for v3, I should get the 4wd wagon transmission and just make the CRX rear wheel drive 🤣 (I dream as this is far outside my current capabilities operating out of my garage)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
After the axles I started prepping the wiring so that I can do a power test.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas Auto part

I put the PDM back on to prep for power test.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Soon I'll get to the battery
Automotive tire Wood Fender Engineering Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
More wiring work today. I finished bundling and sorting out the PDM and Inverter wires as well as hooking up the relay, prepping the ground wires, and sorting out the ones to run through the firewall to the Resolve-EV controller.

In the midst of it, I got annoyed by my existing wiring mess and ended up tearing into it.

In the end of it, I removed the wiring that I had added when I swapped in the D15Z1 motor into the CRX initially. Lots of unused wiring that once ran to the engine and I pulled it out.

Electricity Gas Electrical supply Electrical wiring Wire

Finally I'm wondering what fuse box I can or should use that is compact as the current fuse box I'm using comes from a 2nd generation CRX as it has a electronic load detector which I needed for my original engine swap. I won't need that in this case but I still want to run proper fuses for the vehicle. I'll need to think of what car to source a fuse box from that isn't too bulky. The Leaf fuse box is a bit too much and also bulky.

Electrical wiring Circuit component Computer hardware Electronic engineering Electrical supply

Also I'm currently running HIDs but maybe I should convert to LEDs. Conveniently, my pop up headlights run the standard 5x7 box lights so it's a bit easier to find alternatives.

Current lights:
Tire Wheel Sky Car Cloud

Possible alternative?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Bumper Automotive wheel system

I wonder what's brighter and better for driving?

141 - 160 of 175 Posts