DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I just picked up a used conversion kit and I thought I'd put it in my 1986 Ford Mustang GT. The car is in pretty rough shape so this will be an EV conversion and vehicle restoration at the same time.

Currently I am an engineering student concentrating on Electrical Engineering at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC, USA. I am a life time car enthusiast and electronics nerd. This project lets me explore both of my passions at the same time.

As a college student I have very little money so this will be a budget build.

So far I have the following parts:
1986 Mustang GT
Warp9 DC Motor w/ 4.0L Ford Adaptor plate
NetGain Controller
NetGain Interface Module
160 vdc to 12 vdc converter
Elcon Charger

I will need:
Batteries 12v deep cycle (x10)]
Transmission (2.3 T5)
patients
welding gear

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm not sure why one of my pics is up side down. I deleted it, flipped it 180 with windows, then re uploaded it and it is still not right.

Anyway, Last weekend I built a stand and wired up the motor and controller to a 18650 battery pack I made. I used a 5 amp fuse just in case the system drew too much current the pack wouldn't explode. The pack is made up of 35 used 18650 cells in series, all tested to be above 2000Ah, and fully charged to 4.2 volts - 147 volts total. I attached them all by soldering nickel strips and cooling the cells with canned CO2 directly after soldering to help prevent heat damage to the cells. I then coated the top and bottom with liquid tape to prevent accidental shorts.

I get a throttle response (in percentage) on the display but when I connect the motor it does not turn. I tested the motor with a 12v airplane battery and it seemed to work ok. I got a few error codes but I can not find the service manual for the original classic NetGain Controller. So if anyone has a manual they can send, let me know.

The codes are as follows:
Hault: 4121 4132
Crit: 3113 3111 3112
Warn:
Past: 1333 1333 1333...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bell housing just came in today!! My motor's adapter plate is for a Ford Ranger with a 4.0L engine. I want to use my original T5 transmission so instead of ordering a new adapter, I ordered a bell housing from a 2005 mustang 4.0 V6.

My controller has a four number diagnostic trouble code. Does anyone have a manual for the first version of the Net Gain Classic Controller?

not this one, the older one:
http://www.ngcontrols.com/datasheets/WD1/WarP-Drive_user_manual_27-Jul-11.pdf

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts