DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i want to invest money into getting a 1986 Toyota Sprinter Trueno and also getting a tesla conversion kit...before i actually do it, can i ask everybody or anybody who can give me advise or opinions if its even possible...thank you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That sounds awesome! (Initial D vibes much?)
Definitely possible, just a few things to go through.
Budget?
Performance goals?
Range? (highway miles, city miles)

That can give us a better idea of what sort of conversion you're thinking of.

-Isaac

·
Registered
197 Posts
Given the original vehicle has a front-engine RWD layout, a Tesla kit feels like more work than using a Lexus GS450h gearbox with some openinverter.org adapter circuitry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks bro...really appreciate it...Imma go for it...respect.
Had to look it up, as I'd never heard of it: Toyota AE86 - Wikipedia

Will you be drifting, or delivering tofu, with it?
[/QUOTE
That sounds awesome! (Initial D vibes much?)
Definitely possible, just a few things to go through.
Budget?
Performance goals?
Range? (highway miles, city miles)

That can give us a better idea of what sort of conversion you're thinking of.

-Isaac
Had to look it up, as I'd never heard of it: Toyota AE86 - Wikipedia

Will you be drifting, or delivering tofu, with it?
lol...delivering tofu...for sure...hehe...wink, wink...lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given the original vehicle has a front-engine RWD layout, a Tesla kit feels like more work than using a Lexus GS450h gearbox with some openinverter.org adapter circuitry.
thanks man...i guess, i dont have to use tesla kit, i just figured it would be the easier way because its well known and its already sort of a cookie cutter kind of set up, really appreciate the advise bro. respect.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thanks man...i guess, i dont have to use tesla kit, i just figured it would be the easier way because its well known and its already sort of a cookie cutter kind of set up, really appreciate the advise bro. respect.
Yeah, just go with what you prefer. For drifting and stuff (if you're actually going to do that) a DC motor, coupled to the original transmission (or maybe a stronger one) would be pretty good, since DC motors can output huge amounts of torque. Installing an LSD is probably cheaper with the original drivetrain -- there are LSD kits for the Tesla drive units but they are pretty darn expensive ($1500 minimum, I think Zero EV has the best price).

Tesla drive units are insanely powerful, I'm planning on putting one in my Boxster (since my motor/inverter combo keeps being troublesome, and there are nasty noises coming from the motor coupler) and even the small unit is more powerful than the original 3.2 engine. The large drive unit can push 450-600hp.

The Lexus GS450h is still rather a pain to deal with, unless you really like messing around with computers and wiring (even then it won't be easy). Super cheap for the power though, and not difficult to install. (Does anyone have actual performance numbers?)

-Isaac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts