DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this whole set up but I'm thinking of trying my hand at a conversion of my own (inspiration courtesy of kiwiev). There is a specific car that I had in mind and as the title suggests its a 1992 Jag XJ (One of the British prime minster's cars you see in films of that era).However, the thing weighs 1750kg (around 3950lbs) which seems to be a hefty bit of kit. However, it currently has a hefty V6 engine block which I suspect may contribute significantly to the weight. Is this realistic to expect the car to still have a decent range given its weight? I would just like it for city driving so nothing major is required of it. I was wondering if there are many conversions of heavy vehicles done and the degree of sucess with which it was achieved? In this case would it be better to opt for an AC system rather then the DC? I'm still just toying with the idea and it might not materialise but I would love to have a shot at such a beautiful car.

Any help is much appreciated.

Eamonn

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
... the thing weighs 1750kg (around 3950lbs) ... In this case would it be better to opt for an AC system rather then the DC?
The weight will affect range and acceleration... unless a lot of the weight is the engine and other ICE stuff. Still POSSIBLE, but you'll have relatively higher cost and lower performance than a lighter choice. You also may have to send the tranny bell housing to the adaptor shop of your choice as they are unlikely to have done one of these before...

AC doesn't really get you much except higher cost UNLESS you include regen braking. Cost almost doubles for aprox 20% improvement in range.

You will need to load up on batteries... either 8v FLA, 6v FLA, or a bunch of Li if you have the money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts