DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I purchased a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon a few years back as a project car, and have been casually reading what I could find regarding how to convert it to full electric. I've owned several Volvos in the past, and I currently own a 2013 Volt as a daily driver. The 240 is currently waiting in the garage.

Professionally, I'm a systems engineer / enterprise architect, and have spent years of my career as a programmer along the way. For relevant hobbies, I enjoy repairing and modifying cars, as well as repairing and modifying on electronics. I've done a bit of arduino programming along the way as well.

I've been reading build threads here, trying to get a basic build list in my head for this type of conversion. This is FR layout with a fixed rear axel. My current thinking is something like the GS450h transengine would be on the simpler end, if it fits in the tunnel.

I'll be putting together a build list, and then keeping an eye out for deals as I get closer to a finalized build. I've looked through some builds on EVAlbum as well, but all of the RWD Volvos on there are quite old builds from what I can tell.

I'd love this build to have ~100 of range (or more), be able to comfortably cruise on the highway (~80mph top speed?), and sacrifice as little original functionality of the car as possible (keep the rear seats and the cargo area, heat for the winter).

I'd love to hear build suggestions from the more experienced members of the community. Also, please keep me in mind if there are any parts deals to be had in my part of the country. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been wondering about heated seats, tbh. My Volt doesn't have them, but I had heard from some Volt people that heated seats can allow you to forego heat, at least to some extent. I guess they don't have real winter! Honestly, the ICE runs so often in the Volt when it's below 35 out, it's hardly an EV for like a third of the year.

I have dreams of swapping the ring and adding an LSD diff as a part of this build, and then driving it to the local ski mountain with racks on the top.

I should probably focus on making it a drivable car, and then a drivable all year car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had been wondering about heated seats, tbh. My Volt doesn't have them, but I had heard from some Volt people that heated seats can allow you to forego heat, at least to some extent. I guess they don't have real winter! Honestly, the ICE runs so often in the Volt when it's below 35 out, it's hardly an EV for like a third of the year.

I have dreams of swapping the ring and adding an LSD diff as a part of this build, and then driving it to the local ski mountain with racks on the top.

I should probably focus on making it a drivable car, and then a drivable all year car.
Just FYI if you go into the volt's settings you can change how often the ICE will kick on to run the climate control. I think I have mine set to 'never'. And yes, heated seats + heated steering wheel make a huge difference and are extremely efficient compared to blasting hot air... I would make that a priority on your build, an old volvo brick is an awesome project idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just FYI if you go into the volt's settings you can change how often the ICE will kick on to run the climate control. I think I have mine set to 'never'. And yes, heated seats + heated steering wheel make a huge difference and are extremely efficient compared to blasting hot air... I would make that a priority on your build, an old volvo brick is an awesome project idea.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't have a 'Never' setting, but I changed it from run when cold to run when very cold. It seems like cold is below 35 (in my experience) and very cold is below 15 F, based upon documentation I've found online.

That's a live beam axle in the rear.
Yes, exactly this. I have no idea how I came up with 'fixed.' I think I was going for 'solid' and did some weird Google translate in my head as I was writing it out...

And

not

1 - 8 of 8 Posts