DIY Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I have been busy on outdoor projects the last week or so, and the thought of having to wait for months for the DMV paperwork to go through is making work on the truck feel a lot less urgent.

I got the controller wiring all wrapped up today - and ran the wires for all the contactors. Tomorrow I should be ready to connect the main power leads, and get the controller programmed. With a little luck, I might be able to drive it down the driveway.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I wired my batteries together today, which I was sort of worried was going to be dramatic - but they were close enough in voltage that there was not even a spark when I went to connect them.

All my wiring for the controller checked out okay, so I went ahead and fired it up and got it programmed. My brake booster is still not operating, but I did manage to get the truck up to 10mph, and that did feel like something. The problems started cropping up pretty quickly, though, which put an end to my enthusiasm. It appears that the clutch does not fully disengage, which is annoying. I need to remap the throttle, as it only gives me about enough juice to get up to ... 10mph. I backed it into the garage to go ahead and get started charging it up, only to find that the charger now no longer works. I also checked the 12v system, and also found that the DC-DC converter is not charging the battery. So anyway, I still have a lot of work to do, it seems.

Once I get the charger sorted out, I think I will feel a little more enthusiastic to try and take on the other stuff that needs to be done. The clutch is frustrating, but I dont really need it, so I can just kick that problem down the road.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I took a little time off to work on other stuff, and the guys at Thunderstruck pointed me in the right direction to get my charger figured out. It was actually just a really stupid mix-up - I inadvertently put the male part of the J1772 plug on backwards after opening it to fix the wiring. Here is the correct way - the little latch slides up the ramp and then clicks down into the groove, letting the charger know it is firmly latched

With the plug end reversed, everything still works, the plug slides into place, but there is no groove for the latch, so the charger wont turn on. Anyway, there were a lot of little hints that I somehow managed to ignore, but now its working again. It can only push 1500w on 120v, so it is going to take a while to get a full charge. I ran it for a couple of hours today while tracking down a problem with one of the bulb holders for the turn signals.

Next I am going to try and get the brake booster fully online, and then I can reprogram the throttle and do some more driveway tests.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I got my brake booster squared away today. The sensor that came with the kit was causing relay chatter, so I ended up making a time delay relay controller with a resistor/capacitor pair driving a transistor. Now the pump runs for about 5 seconds after the pressure drops to the right value; which makes sure there is enough vacuum for it to stay off. I plumbed in a small reservoir made of PVC pipe, and everything seems to be working. There is a slow leak somewhere, so the pump does come on occasionally for no reason, but I can live with that.

I remapped the throttle profile, as the default mapping only gave me about 50% with the pedal to the floor. It now has considerably more oompf. I did play around with feeding it 200amps in second gear, and it takes off pretty well. Here is a quick video of it going down the driveway.

I wish I did not have like 3 other major projects going on right now, or I think I would feel a lot more excited about being so close to being finished. Also, the mess at the DMV is a real buzz-kill. I still have to work out the coolant system, and get my flatbed wrapped up, but basically it is ready for the open road!

101 - 104 of 104 Posts