DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i finally made enough progress that i can justify making a build thread. Main info:

1996 Saturn, ~140,000 miles
Engine spun a bearing, repair costs over $1000(paid $1000 for the car at 92kmiles)
car also has a bad wheel bearing, that will need fixed.

Motor: Yale/Hyster 24/36 volt to be run at 72volts(need some help with brush advance, as the motor appears to already be advanced)
Controller: Alltrax AXE 7245, (used, well, never used, but installed and removed from a car)
Batteries: Marine Deepcycles from Advance Auto Parts(not purchased yet)

Goals:
My mom has a commute of 8 miles(round trip) to work each week day.
Hoping for >20 miles range
Hoping for 50mph, 40 required.
UNDER $3000 TOTAL COST

Costs so far:
Car: $1000(bought from my aunt, then put over 40kmiles on it)
Motor: eBay for 100$(including shipping)
Controller: Refurb EV Drives: 410$
Batteries: About 460$

I am building my own 30 amp DC/DC, and will be posting schematics/pictures when its done. Its input stage is rated for 125v, so many forum members can use it, and it provides a solid 12-15v(user resettable).

Motor/tranny adaptors are VERY expensive(poor college student here). My father is a machinist, so we will be making one of our own, and for early testing, i will be using a love-joy coupler, that i am told is rated for 100ft/lbs of torque.

The only real issue i am worried about is the charger. I refuse to spend $4000 on a charger. As a matter of fact, I only spent $1200 on a DODGE CHARGER. (1974, with 55k miles). Most likely i will be using old forklift chargers or a home brew. Donations accepted. :D
PICTURES:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=117327&id=665000126&l=0a028722c1

Facebook account NOT required, but if you have one, send me an add, and mention your from this forum!

I'm glad to be a member of a forum full of people that don't think im crazy. I'm not saying that i'm NOT crazy, im just sick of hearing about it!:D

Cheers!

-Alex Crouse, Pittsburgh PA, USA

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I designed my own coupler for my Civic and made the plates myself. I did get my coupler machined locally for $300 and plates cost $210 for new stock. The plates were really easy to make, took about a day to do with battery powered saws.

The lovejoy coupler should work on 72 volts, but if you increase over that it will probably strip. If your dad is a machinist, that should make life really easy for the coupling, plates and battery racks.

I originally got my EV up and running for a little under $3k, then a year later I planted another $2500 in upgrades. I too am a college student, but have the added benefit of working at school and as of last semester, I have a charge spot for my EV.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well as an electrical engineering student, i should be able to get one. lol
Yeah, I had to work for mine, even though I am a Computer Engineering student and the spot were already built for the department's EVs, space is a premium on campus.

If you want to get chargers for nice and cheap, my first set of chargers were Schumacher 6 AMP 12 volt I got from eBay. I got one for each battery and it was under $120 for all of them. I have since got a faster charger system, but still use them occasionally when batteries need to be balanced after sitting for a while. There are also a few nice smart chargers that are about $500 and will do full packs.

I think you should also replace your brakes and check all you mechanical parts before you get too far along. I didn't, and after 1,000 EV miles my brakes, transmission and suspension all went literally on the same day in October. This past weekend I finally got the EV back to fully running condition again, just in time for it's inspection.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Motor: Yale/Hyster 24/36 volt to be run at 72volts(need some help with brush advance, as the motor appears to already be advanced)
Controller: Alltrax AXE 7245, (used, well, never used, but installed and removed from a car)
Batteries: Marine Deepcycles from Advance Auto Parts(not purchased yet)

Goals:
My mom has a commute of 8 miles(round trip) to work each week day.
Hoping for >20 miles range
Hoping for 50mph, 40 required.
UNDER $3000 TOTAL COST
speed - range - inexpensive.... pick two. ;)
seriously, a $3k budget will force some compromises where you may wish otherwise. I dunno if you are going to reach 50mph with this setup, or if the motor will last long at double rated voltage. but... good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50 will be a Peak speed, no sustained. Mainly for emergency escapes of PA traffic and their deadly bad drivers. Also, the motor cost 50$, and Hi-Torque Electric seemed to think these motors are ment for abuse. The Forklift Motor- Choosing a good one thread is where i found this information. If i blow this motor, i can have another in the car in less than a week. So far i am up to about 2000$, including donor price. Now i just need batteries......

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Neat!

Loved the video of the little powerwheels jeep boosting your car!:D That must have been on stands or it is the slowest wheel spin ever!;)

For really cheap batteries, SimonRafferty is using Optima Red tops. He went to his local scrap/junk yard and tested all the Optimas and bought all the good ones for £3 with the option to sell back at £2. That make it £1 a battery for as many as he can get and use. He has converted a Land Rover Freelander to AC drive that he uses for his short commute.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!!!

it moves!:D

running it off an optima yellow top and a tellcom battery totally 24volts and 55ah, it actually moves!

im excited....maybe too much. youtube video to come!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That's a great day when it moves! Did you settle on a charging scheme? One thought is to break the pack into 2 halves and use a couple of golf cart chargers. You could also put the 2 pack halves in parallel for charging, but the batteries will tend to get out of balance that way.
UPDATE!!!

it moves!:D

running it off an optima yellow top and a tellcom battery totally 24volts and 55ah, it actually moves!

im excited....maybe too much. youtube video to come!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a great day when it moves! Did you settle on a charging scheme? One thought is to break the pack into 2 halves and use a couple of golf cart chargers. You could also put the 2 pack halves in parallel for charging, but the batteries will tend to get out of balance that way.
Ive moved the car up to 36 volts, and still want more! i guess that expected tho.

As far as charging, i picked up 3 15amp Schumacher chargers from WallyWorld. They are actually quite awesome.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked up a Walmart MAXX29 battery. Seems to be a tank of a battery, well built. Its the Johnson Controls version, and for those unfamiliar to these, they are 125Ah 12volt batteries, for about 90$ around here. After i verify its capacity, I will buy 5 more and enjoy a real battery pack!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts