DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, figured i should start a thread, i've started measuring up and i've started battery pack sums, also started stripping down a non-running test bed vehicle to keep my daily driver on the road as long as possible

This is the vehicle in question, a Daihatsu Fourtrak, the P reg on the left specifically. The Y reg on the right is in worse shape and not roadworthy, it'll serve as a test bed for battery box and motor fitment.

It has selectable High-Low and 4wd transfer box. I doubt i'll need the Low range gears but i do want the 4wd.
Technically a 7 seater, i want to definitely retain 5 seats and i would like 100 miles of range, even if not off the bat.

Reason for this vehicle given it's age (23 years now); i have fallen in love (hence buying a second when the first started to overheat), it's as capable as a LR Defender but not as tall, so no climbing in and out, it takes plenty of people, it's rugged, has great off road capability, a bomb proof transmission and are somewhat rare over here now.

The kerb weight is 1670kg, the engine weighs 250-300kg (by all accounts), the fuel tank must be 70kg+ when full, plus the exhaust to lose and a GVWR of 2510kg, i think i've got a decent weight headroom for this project.

As for battery placement, i have the fuel tank spot, between the left chassis rail and the shaft, behind the rear seats and a big deep square engine bay, all pictured here, if i look at gen 2 leaf modules i think i can fit 96 of them in. Which should give me 48kWh, which should give me me 100 mile range.
I might not be able to to afford them all up front, so i might be looking at half of that to get on the road and upgrade later

(rear seats missing in this picture)

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I was going to suggest getting the longer-wheelbase version for more battery room... but these are apparently already the longer F78 version (which is still small).

Seven people in that is crazy - do the four people in the rear (assuming three in the front) sit sideways, facing each other, getting in and out through the rear door rather than the sides?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to suggest getting the longer-wheelbase version for more battery room... but these are apparently already the longer F78 version (which is still small).

Seven people in that is crazy - do the four people in the rear (assuming three in the front) sit sideways, facing each other, getting in and out through the rear door rather than the sides?
Yeah this is the long one.
The rear bench seats 3 and then there is 2 sub-seats that face each other right inside the rear door. I will not need to seat 7 by any stretch, it was just background information on this vehicle.
I just need to seat 2 adults and 3 children.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent 6 hours today working on removing the engine, did reasonably well for my firs time, just got one stubborn heater hose, 2 awkward bell housing bolts and the steering system to drain and unhook, then i can lift it out

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it might have been better to manoeuvre the test mule before removing the engine

Until i've got cash to bring some parts in i can play with figuring out the instrument cluster wiring
I've had the temp and fuel gauges moving, just need to knock up an arduino circuit to play with controlling them dynamically

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you can find a way to attach the gs450h drive unit to a transfer case that would be awesome! The nice thing about the gs450h is how much room it leaves for batteries in the engine bay. Search divorced transfer case to see how off-roaders do lifted builds with a driveshaft btwn transmission and transfer case. Not sure about that transfer case but there are some tcases that have interchangeable input shafts, e.g. a splined shaft or a flange depending on the vehicle it came out of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can find a way to attach the gs450h drive unit to a transfer case that would be awesome! The nice thing about the gs450h is how much room it leaves for batteries in the engine bay. Search divorced transfer case to see how off-roaders do lifted builds with a driveshaft btwn transmission and transfer case. Not sure about that transfer case but there are some tcases that have interchangeable input shafts, e.g. a splined shaft or a flange depending on the vehicle it came out of.
Aha, nice info for me to search on.
Yes I'm immediately impressed with the potential extra engine bay space

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
If you can find a way to attach the gs450h drive unit to a transfer case that would be awesome!
If the Fourtrak transfer case isn't used, the easiest choice might be to the same hybrid transmission (L110) when it is used in a Lexus LS 660h which comes with a transfer case attached (and is called a L110F), or to swap that transfer case another transfer case of the same input configuration (likely shared between Toyota models) that might be more suitable for the Fourtrak... since the LS system is a full-time AWD. Of course it would be necessary to confirm that the LS transfer case places the propeller shaft to the front in a suitable location, or that an altenative transfer case fits the L110F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts