DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, figured i should start a thread, i've started measuring up and i've started battery pack sums, also started stripping down a non-running test bed vehicle to keep my daily driver on the road as long as possible

This is the vehicle in question, a Daihatsu Fourtrak, the P reg on the left specifically. The Y reg on the right is in worse shape and not roadworthy, it'll serve as a test bed for battery box and motor fitment.

It has selectable High-Low and 4wd transfer box. I doubt i'll need the Low range gears but i do want the 4wd.
Technically a 7 seater, i want to definitely retain 5 seats and i would like 100 miles of range, even if not off the bat.

Reason for this vehicle given it's age (23 years now); i have fallen in love (hence buying a second when the first started to overheat), it's as capable as a LR Defender but not as tall, so no climbing in and out, it takes plenty of people, it's rugged, has great off road capability, a bomb proof transmission and are somewhat rare over here now.

The kerb weight is 1670kg, the engine weighs 250-300kg (by all accounts), the fuel tank must be 70kg+ when full, plus the exhaust to lose and a GVWR of 2510kg, i think i've got a decent weight headroom for this project.

As for battery placement, i have the fuel tank spot, between the left chassis rail and the shaft, behind the rear seats and a big deep square engine bay, all pictured here, if i look at gen 2 leaf modules i think i can fit 96 of them in. Which should give me 48kWh, which should give me me 100 mile range.
I might not be able to to afford them all up front, so i might be looking at half of that to get on the road and upgrade later

(rear seats missing in this picture)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey GreenBeast,
I was recently looking at getting a fourtrak with the aim of restoring and in future making into an EV. How is this project going for you?
Hi,
We just finished a Rocky test 'proto type' with a Nissan Leaf motor/inverter/PDM successfully and we are now building two more.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive carrying rack

First test run..
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Testing the setup
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

We can even use the Chademo fast charger.

We had the complete Leaf battery pack fitted in the rear but in the two others we will split the pack and mount them under the vehicle
We kept the Rocky main gearbox and transfer box, the Leaf motor it mounted directly onto the gearbox.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me

·
Registered
18 Posts
how r they holding up? I'm thinking of making at least one of my Rocky's to EV - wandering if should use factory gear boxes or use Toy
Hi,
It is running for nearly a year and it has be pretty much flawless. It is used for short trips and around the farm.
it is a joy to drive.

We use Daihatsu Rocky drive line, we simply took out the diesel and replaced it with the Nissan Leaf motor stack (less gearbox) bolted directly onto the Rocky gearbox.

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Machine

It is basically a stack of plates, bolted together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts