DIY Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Thanks.
The SR-309 output is offset (to either side, your choice) and the transfer case input is normally on-centre. How are you planning to handle that? And will the gearbox and transfer case be directly connected, or is this to be a "divorced" setup?
It will be divorced and we are still working out the drivetrain alignment details once we get a good CAD model sorted out. Would have gone with the TorqueTrends speed reducer as it is not offset, but the 3:1 ratio of the SR-309 fit better for us. So, we will make it work...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
Just a lame update... This part shortage is slowing the project. Many components on order with LONG lead times. We are also in the process of setting up a test station to start with the battery activities, but this will also take some time. A new video about e-motor calculations will be posted soon and in the meantime, my wife bought a new car to get her used to the EV life... She let me drive it to work this morning... Really fun car!!! She "filled it up" two days ago for $9. Not bad when my Edge takes more than $50 these days...

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car

Video Link:

·
Registered
Jeep TJ frame Aqualu body Atlas T case
4 Posts
Love your guys videos! That orange is the best color for the mustang.

So I’m researching out doing a vehicle similar to yours, TJ or JK frame with Atlas transfer case, G2 axles (3.73 gearing) and I really like the motor and gearbox option you’re going with. The parking brake feature on the gear box is a huge bonus, no one realized the difficulty and cost in adding a working parking brake to a custom vehicle.

I have the fabrication handled but no experience with electric motors, inverters, or batteries.

I see you’re using the IM-225 andSR-309 but what charging and DC to DC inverter did you decide on? Any idea on battery modules yet?

I’m working on a couple ideas to mate the gear box to the transfer case, right now. I’ll post if I come up with a solid plan.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Love your guys videos! That orange is the best color for the mustang.

So I’m researching out doing a vehicle similar to yours, TJ or JK frame with Atlas transfer case, G2 axles (3.73 gearing) and I really like the motor and gearbox option you’re going with. The parking brake feature on the gear box is a huge bonus, no one realized the difficulty and cost in adding a working parking brake to a custom vehicle.

I have the fabrication handled but no experience with electric motors, inverters, or batteries.

I see you’re using the IM-225 andSR-309 but what charging and DC to DC inverter did you decide on? Any idea on battery modules yet?

I’m working on a couple ideas to mate the gear box to the transfer case, right now. I’ll post if I come up with a solid plan.
We are going with the Cascadia Motion DCDC / OBC combo. Combo Unit

As for batteries, we are either using reused LG Chem cell pairs from scrapped Mach-E's reconfigured into 18S2P modules, each with a AEM BMS module, or we are also in contact with another company with a modular battery concept which could allow us to have several "modules" at the pack voltage level and then you have less (like 30kW) for day-to-day driving, but then add more modules for longer trips... We will see what we come up with.

Unfortunately, many components are on back-order right now with long delivery times, but this will give us some time to test and work o the batteries.

Let me know what you come up with regarding the transfer case - e-motor/gearbox mounting. This is something that we will investigate more when we get the motor and gearbox here...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
So...things are finally progressing a bit.

1. All of our AEM goodies arrived this week so we will start unpacking and getting the VCU and BMS up and running and start to decommission the stock Jeep wire harness and define the all the interconnects for the EV Jeep. Will get that started next week.

2. The Cascadia Motion stuff is scheduled for mid/end of May. So no big stuff for a while... Will be visiting them end of this month.

3. A local custom Jeep shop which seems to have a pretty good reputation for their projects is interested in helping us with the mechanical integration part of the project which will be weight off my shoulders... Auto Repair & Tire Shop in Oak Creek, WI | Willy's World Customs

4. We are using my wife's Mustang Mach-E GT to gather a substantial amount of data on the battery such as current limits, temperature deratings, min/max pack and module voltage, etc. which will help us with the BMS integration. This morning I hit . i.e. 655A @ 333V in a full acceleration and max regen of 237A @ 373V ... Fun car... We drove it from Milwaukee to Detroit with no issues. Charging was easy and fast with no problems. The Sam's Club in Kalamazoo is a nice location if you want to see some cool EV's charging there. We saw a Audi eTron, Rivian, Lightning, id4, Taycan, and Lucid Air there...

5. Getting closer to the battery test system set-up in our garage to check the cells we will reuse for our modules... This will be an adventure too.

6. Drove a Rivian R1T two days ago and that truck is really nice and quite amazing. While the performance was unbelievable (but somewhat expected for a small truck with 4 motors), I wouldn't say it was so much faster than the Mustang. The interior is REALLY nice and has a lot of really nice features. I was pleasantly surprised...
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The next video is up talking more about the batteries. Hopefully the weather will cooperate soon and we can start cleaning up the frame, body, and suspension bits...outside of the garage...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Was a good day today! Battery delivery day!!! For the conversion project, the trailer project, as well as the home energy storage...18 nice Samsung SDI Mega 2.4 modules ready for solar (trying to find the manuals/BMS info though is proving harder than expected...).

Now the fun of disassembling the modules and testing the cells...

Wood Chair Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Machine

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Wood

Automotive tire Wood Tread Bumper Gas

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
The next video is up talking more about the batteries...
I deeply hate watching a ten-minute video embedded in a forum to get information that could have been typed into one line of a forum post, so to save others that pain...
the decision was to go ahead with the LG Chem modules discussed earlier in the thread, reconfigured to 2P, with AEM BMS.

The rest of the discussion in the video was good... just not the new information about the build that is of interest here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I deeply hate watching a ten-minute video embedded in a forum to get information that could have been typed into one line of a forum post, so to save others that pain...
the decision was to go ahead with the LG Chem modules discussed earlier in the thread, reconfigured to 2P, with AEM BMS.
Cool. Thanks for the watch hours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Spent some free time today with the "fun" of using the 3D scanned mesh data to rough in some SW bodies to start hacking together the e-drive subframe, transfer case/gearbox adaptor, and the front motor mounts. The idea is to have a new subframe that supports both the e-drive/transfer case as well as the front batteries. Working with the scan mesh data is tiresome with my not-SW spec laptop...but it is working. The 3D printer is busy printing the mounting face of the gearbox and then I will print the adaptor plate to test how the transfer case, adaptor plate, and gearbox will all mount together.

We decided to mount the transfer case directly to the gearbox and get new custom driveshafts made locally. We were going to change to a cable shifter for the transfer case anyway so moving it (since it lost it's mounting points when we ditched the transmission) seemed like the best option especially since getting it exactly in the right spot to make the stock shaft works seemed to be a bigger hassle. Might actually be a nice little 4WD E-Drive package if it all works right....

Anyway...just a start. Haven't done any material strength analysis or anything but just wanted to start getting some ideas...

Sorry @brian_ there's no video this time.

The rough screen caps
World Font Art Urban design Monochrome

World Font Art Automotive tire Auto part

World Urban design Font Automotive tire Art

Urban design World Font Slope Pattern

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Yeah...I have several contacts that can make me the spline to spline shaft to go from the speed reducer output to the transfer case input... Here are the internal and external spline details for the speed reducer:

Font Number Parallel Document Circle

121 - 140 of 172 Posts