DIY Electric Car Forums banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
So, where I'd go from here is get the inverter out of the way and pull the battery modules back to the firewall to give yourself a bit more crush room in the event of a frontal. Makes for a slightly smaller polar moment as well if the project manager ever decides to enter it into Formula 1.

Lay the inverter down on the pack near the firewall. A bit lower CG from this as well or maybe same - hard to eyeball, even with the colors 😛
I agree with your suggestions except the main purpose of this is for public awareness, training, and education to show the different parts of an electric vehicle so I need them easily seen and so we can explain and point to everything... So, I need to be able to easily see the e-motor, inverter, the OBC/DCDC, etc... I also agree with the rear tank area but I need to put some modules there... I am already getting a very substantial bumper and a tank skid plate to give some armor there... The nice thing about Jeeps is a lot of this kind of stuff is off-the-shelf...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Yeah, agreed that you really can't give up the old gas tank area. Are you worried at all about the rear pumpkin hitting that module above it in flex?
Yes...

We will be putting a 2.5" or 4" lift on it which would help but we may still put in some physical stops... Or I add a 3-4" body lift kit but then that raises the CG even more and looks even more silly...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just my opinion, but I'd rather just move that module to lay crosswise the two in the engine bay near the firewall. You still have tons of vertical in there. The fewer module groups you have the less wiring and coolant routing you have to worry about too.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I agree with your suggestions except the main purpose of this is for public awareness, training, and education to show the different parts of an electric vehicle so I need them easily seen and so we can explain and point to everything... So, I need to be able to easily see the e-motor, inverter, the OBC/DCDC, etc... I also agree with the rear tank area but I need to put some modules there... I am already getting a very substantial bumper and a tank skid plate to give some armor there... The nice thing about Jeeps is a lot of this kind of stuff is off-the-shelf...
Good thing you lowered that front battery.

Now you can put the Cascadia motor on top of the front battery stack (you know...so you can point to it for educational purposes) and run a roller chain down to the driveline...

😂

·
Registered
926 Posts
Have you considered working with your 4X shop to have a custom frame made? There are suppliers that make after-market frames for other jeeps. With a custom frame you could maximum the battery space in the center, lowest position of the frame. With your contacts, maybe you could develop a design with the frame suppliers that they could market to other people doing conversions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Have you considered working with your 4X shop to have a custom frame made? There are suppliers that make after-market frames for other jeeps. With a custom frame you could maximum the battery space in the center, lowest position of the frame. With your contacts, maybe you could develop a design with the frame suppliers that they could market to other people doing conversions.
Hmmm....now you have me thinking...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve been talking to Art Morrison frame shop for custom installing into their irs system. They said a few others have been asking the same question and have figured it out, except my old truck may be too narrow. Gotta get the measuring tape out.

The point is that with the right jeep frame supplier, they may work it out for you and the next ten customers coming through the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Traditional Jeep frames are pretty straightforward, so custom fabrication to adjust frame rail spacing or to provide suitable crossmembers should be feasible. There are several aftermarket suppliers and it could even make sense to buy one of their off-the-shelf frames and modify it, rather than substantially modifying the stock frame.

You can also build a custom frame to hold a salvaged EV battery, and while you're at it the drive units and complete suspensions from an AWD EV as well, using the EV's subframes of course. By the time you're done you've put a Jeep body on an EV, the way Ford paid some custom car builders to put an old F-100 pickup cab and box on a Mach E chassis using a custom frame (the 1978 Ford F100 Eluminator). That's nice... but is it a Jeep, and is it what you're trying to do?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Veronika's latest video at Ford's Rouge plant was good. You both got access on F150 Lightning I didn't see on other channels like Transport Evolved. Congrats on being taken seriously as "press".

Meanwhile, the jump zoom at the beginning is annoying AF (doesn't mean autofocus), so please avoid doing it in future if possible.

·
Registered
Jeep TJ frame Aqualu body Atlas T case
4 Posts
Full Throttle Down also makes jeep frames that could be applicable for your project. They can be ordered with or without engine, trans, mounts and would be much easier to customize.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts