DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I signed up as well. A pack like that in a conversion that would need ~120 Wh/mile on the highway, could easily set a world range record at a steady 30 mph...

I also feel that pack would be a perfect match for Wayland's "Blue Meanie", if the goal were to maximize publicity. "Blue Meanie" is an excellent show car, and already gets good efficiency(~150 Wh/mile at 60 mph). It would have a real world range close to the Tesla Roadster, and plenty of acceleration to go with it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
None, as far as I am aware. That being said, provided that you don't discharge them more than about 80%, they should be okay. A BMS is definitely needed for them, though...

·
Registered
56 Posts
go 800 pound 16kw single seat tube frame wedge shaped nylon wrapped electrobuggy go!
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/zeroemission/electrobug.png
(anyone wanna trade fabrication & parts for 16kw in batteries?)

are BOTH the PDF entry form & completely different HTML surveys the part of the same contest? i don't do PDFs and want them gone forever, so i filled out the EVTV (?) survey.

when you think about it... the odds of winning THIS contest are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than winning $100 on a scratch off ticket probably! (don't tell anyone else!)

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Considering Jack's opinion of BMS's I'm sure there won't be one. The also aren't strictly necessary if you're willing to do an occasional manual balance, and with a pack that size you're likely to never come close to a full discharge. I run without a BMS on a much smaller pack.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Guys, it was a joke! I think everyone on the planet knows where Jack stands on BMS

Jack Rickard has explained in one of his videos for the Porsche that he doesn't think a BMS is a good idea. Therefore I really doubt one will be included.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Guys, it was a joke! I think everyone on the planet knows where Jack stands on BMS
I was tempted to submit a killer build project, all set up to his expectations as a big plan to be the ultimate EV that does everything possible using the parts in a sportscar yet still utilitarian body. ...and then end it with an outlandishly long elaborate story of a 16 stage shunt balancer with 16 24-gauge wires with separate purposes going to each battery terminal in the pack held on with tie-tacks. :D I really don't want to give the guy a heart attack though. I'm not really looking to waste my time or his(theirs) either. ...well, I'm sure they would see the comedy of it as I'd make sure it was clear it was a joke in the end.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Good luck to you all, I have just improved your chances of winning by not entering the competition. I hope that you are all grateful for my great generosity and sacrifice to you all and each send me a single LiFeP04 100ah cell as a token of your gratitude.

:D

Seriously, I am not entering as I wouldn't be able to afford the import duties were I to win and I also don't really want a sponsor or TV crew dictating or influencing my build progress, no matter how well meaning.
So, over to you guys and good luck.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
i eat, dream & sleep
- recumbent bicycles followed by all other human powered vehicles first
- converting every car on the road, RIGHT NOW, to burning hydrogen with a thousand or so in plumbing changes second
- and electric vehicles third

i've been moving my mass virtually chemical free for the past 18 years unless you count replacing tires and oiling chains once in a while.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Burning hydrogen in an ICE vehicle is even less efficient than using it in a FCV and makes no sense at all. You seem really hopped up about hydrogen, maybe you need to start DIYfuelcellcar.com. Oh that's right, the technology is so complex and expensive, with no infrastructure, so you can't.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Burning hydrogen in an ICE vehicle is even less efficient than using it in a FCV and makes no sense at all. You seem really hopped up about hydrogen, maybe you need to start DIYfuelcellcar.com. Oh that's right, the technology is so complex and expensive, with no infrastructure, so you can't.
Why do you insist on poking the bear? :p

For my part, I was kind of annoyed at Jack's response to my comment. I didn't want to sound cynical but I can't afford the taxes on an additional $20,000 without actually having that $20,000. Glad the IRS is good to him, but to me, I'd win the contest and lose my house. :p

·
Registered
780 Posts
I saw that too and thought Jack meant "ironic" and not cynical as the rest of the context would suggest.

I might enter the contest just to contribute to the count of pulling everyone together. I would certainly exclude myself beyond that. Part of my mission is to show others it can be done with a modest budget. I"m also set on an AC based system and would have carbon dust nightmares if I ended up with a brush motor under the hood. No offense intended, of course.

JR

1 - 20 of 65 Posts