DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't know anything about this company, but they list a coupling for the Siemens: http://www.vaxosystems.com/store/products/117-vk25018-coupling-kit.aspx
Didn't EVTV sell a coupling for this motor?
Aluminum is way to soft for this application. Does the end of the motor shaft have internal threads? If so, the coupling(like the one above) could be machined to fit the large taper next to the splines on the shaft. This would allow the coupling to be accurately and securely clamped onto the shaft with a bolt threaded into the end of the shaft. You should not rely on a press fit, only, to keep the coupling on the end of the motor shaft. And no, the force from the clutch release mechanism alone is not sufficient to keep the coupling securely on the end of the motor shaft.

To mount a flywheel using this coupling, a flange would have to be welded to the coupling and machined to fit your flywheel.
You'll need to pull off the end plate to check the bearing size for use in a flywheel/clutch application.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
holy smokes nice find! How do you know that that 24t coupler is the correct standard? I cant find more info about it on there. i tried find the spec sheet on their motor to see if those had said anything.

Edit: I see now it is the correct one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't know anything about this company, but they list a coupling for the Siemens: http://www.vaxosystems.com/store/products/117-vk25018-coupling-kit.aspx
Shipped out in good time, looks very high quality!

emachineshop issued a refund. so I guess theyre A-ok. A for effort. really its my fault for not going the correct route. still, it didnt fit though. I learned also not to overestimate the ability of a CNC

I ordered a couple kinds of round bar stock to play with on my new wen lathe

I picked up some used batteries, they're four aluminum housed and potted modules 24s. 88v and 80ah.

I also picked up a BMS & 3 satellites from over at thunderstruck motors.

soo, i have a lot of the bits but still a ton of work to do. I still need to buy some EV main battery wire.

--bench test gevcu with dmoc645 and siemens
--turn down the hub out of flywheel & one from vaxo
--turn a coupler and insert both hubs, connect motor and trans and tighten the plate while she's goin and weight supported so shes in line.
--lower her in place and take measurements for mounts!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Shipped out in good time, looks very high quality!

emachineshop issued a refund. so I guess theyre A-ok. A for effort. really its my fault for not going the correct route. still, it didnt fit though. I learned also not to overestimate the ability of a CNC

I ordered a couple kinds of round bar stock to play with on my new wen lathe

I picked up some used batteries, they're four aluminum housed and potted modules 24s. 88v and 80ah.

I also picked up a BMS & 3 satellites from over at thunderstruck motors.

soo, i have a lot of the bits but still a ton of work to do. I still need to buy some EV main battery wire.

--bench test gevcu with dmoc645 and siemens
--turn down the hub out of flywheel & one from vaxo
--turn a coupler and insert both hubs, connect motor and trans and tighten the plate while she's goin and weight supported so shes in line.
--lower her in place and take measurements for mounts!!

Canadian EV makes motor adapters for common conversions. One just happens to be the early Saturns.

It seems using an available Saturn adapter, an available ACXX AC motor and an available Curtis controller would make things much easier.

Much, much easier.

Making an adapter is a royal PIA.

Been there, done that. A bunch of times. No more. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Canadian EV makes motor adapters for common conversions. One just happens to be the early Saturns.

It seems using an available Saturn adapter, an available ACXX AC motor and an available Curtis controller would make things much easier.

Much, much easier.

Making an adapter is a royal PIA.

Been there, done that. A bunch of times. No more. :(

yes well, seeing as I've already bought everything but the charger, buying another motor seems expensive

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Due to an unrelated battery fire (and subsequent burnination of my house) the project has been canceled and all of the hardware is for sale. All hardware is located in SW oregon. and has been stored well away from aforesaid burnination.

Siemens Motor + its controller the aircooled DMOC

Thunderstruck EV BMS master + 3 satellites 24s each (new in box)

EVTV GEVCU new in box

one of those vaxxo systems spline couplers

De-ICE'd Saturn SL1 2000 manual (really low mileage & great condition)
(comes with all my work on an adapter plate 3D images and a adapter plate rough draft)

Please message me
Thanks for support

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
cheap 36v 30ah ebike battery from mAhStore on aliexpress.com was not individually fused each cell. one in a parallel group was likely faulty and caused a cascade failure immediately following a full charge (discharged, then charged, disconnected from charger, 1hr later 4 ft jet of fire shooting out).

It occurred in February and I've since rebuilt my house. But now terrified of large lithium batteries with parallel groups! I'm also lucky it didn't burn my workplace down or my dogs when I was out of house or that I wasn't sleeping. It was freezing outdoors so there was nowhere warm to charge it without having it indoors.

I'm broke and want shit like clothing and camping gear. I've also lost access to the shop I was using and had to relocate to a new place so can no longer work on it until the barn here is renovated. Basically "suck-fest 2019" (my dog got hit by a car too! fml) sooo get the shit while the gettings good. I'm gonna repost all this shit for sale properly in the for sale section one of these days I get around to it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts