DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased my Mini Cooper S today! She has a bad engine, so I figured it's a perfect car for a conversion. This is my first electric conversion, so I'll be leaning on this forum a lot for info and advice. I'll keep this thread updated with all of my progress. Can't wait to get started! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That throwout bearing has seen better days. Looks like it got gnawed on recently...how'd that happen?
It wasn't gnawed on. Just a bunch of camera flash reflection from the glazed surface.

It is worn out though. It sounds like one of those old time roller skate wheels when I spin it. It will be getting replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heck yeah! I was looking to do a conversion exactly like rich's, even got a warp 9. I was still left in the dark about a lot even with all that he shares so I'm looking forward to this build.
Have you planned out for batteries yet?
Are you going to try and keep a stock look (hiding batteries in the exhaust system etc)?
Also what are you going for in this build in terms of performance-function-form?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heck yeah! I was looking to do a conversion exactly like rich's, even got a warp 9. I was still left in the dark about a lot even with all that he shares so I'm looking forward to this build.
Have you planned out for batteries yet?
Are you going to try and keep a stock look (hiding batteries in the exhaust system etc)?
Also what are you going for in this build in terms of performance-function-form?
Haven't planned out anything yet really. Kind of just seeing what's available as money comes along. I do know that I want to keep the clutch and buy a proper transmission adapter. I've got some feelers out with a couple of the EV conversion parts companies, but haven't heard back yet if an adapter is readily available. Hoping to have something peppy, but race car specs not needed. I'm leaning towards a Zilla 1k controller and a Warp 9 or similar DC motor. I'm thinking about doing a rear seat delete and mounting batteries and other electronics back there. I've got a company vehicle for work, so I don't need a lot of range. Just a fun car with enough capacity to tool around town a bit for shopping trips etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A big cargo floor would make for a very useful car! I'm thinking of doing the same with my car but only for a bigger cargo area,the batteries are mounted on the bottom.
The only problems with this are 1, weatherproofing and 2 ride height clearance.
In the rich rebuilds, build. He would've lost 3 inches of ride height.
How would you plan on securing them? I was thinking if the batteries allowed clearance you could maybe do a metal plate bolted to the frame and use liquid gasket seal. But that sounds expensive and you'd would know if it worked until you had a problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A big cargo floor would make for a very useful car! I'm thinking of doing the same with my car but only for a bigger cargo area,the batteries are mounted on the bottom.
For my Rav4 I am hoping to make a false floor, if I can cut away some sheet metal above the gas tank location and have the battery box hanging down a bit and sticking up above floor level a bit. Think clean competition audio type finish. This would probably not fly for places that have inspections required as modifying unibody cars is generally a no-no.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts