DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to either perform alot of repair on my Xterra or scrap it and buy a new vehicel. As such, I'm considering a conversion and to do some non-standard things. I am somewhat skilled at mechanics and fabrication.

I'd like to achieve:
  • 250miles per charge,
  • <=80mph
  • regen braking (understand I need an AC system)
  • NOT use the old transmission (can i use four independent motors)
  • understand if I can mount solar panels (roof...hood?)
  • small generator (biofuels) to recharge if no station avail

Staring a feasibility study for the above in terms of cost, difficulty and limits.

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I like the four-motor approach. :)

On the other hand, the description of the proposed project is just about the most complex type of electrified vehicle (series hybrid AWD), and the expectation is for industry-leading range... in a vehicle not designed to be a hybrid and not designed for efficiency. It would probably make sense to start with something much simpler and less ambitious.

Just one technical detail note: solar panels on motor vehicles are not very useful - they just don't produce enough power to be worth the weight and complication.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I'd like to achieve:
  • 250miles per charge,
  • <=80mph
That's a start on performance requirements. :) To determine motor power requirements, you would also need to decide on your acceleration and grade-climbing targets. A vehicle which can eventually get to 80 mph on flat ground with no wind, but takes an hour to get there, and slows to 20 mph while climbing even a gentle hill, would probably not be acceptable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts