DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

-Change of plans. Sold the forklift. It was worth too much to scrap.-

I have a salvaged 2003 CTS I want to convert to an EV for a 25 mile round trip daily commute.

Does not need heat, AC, power brakes, steering or any 12V accessories other than lighting/horn/windows/locks/trunk/sunroof. Basically a street legal go kart. I can make my own adapters, mounts, etc.

I found that the Prius Prime uses an 8.8kWh battery pack and they are reasonable from junk yards.

Is there a motor controller / motor scenario that would work with this battery? Junk yard sourced would be nice.

Thanks!
Harry

Registered
Your automatic trans is useless, so you need to find yourself a ~2:1 gearbox to go between the motor choice and driveshaft before you go any further. Maybe a Torquebox, but buying one will 4x the value of the car and motor you have 馃槀

Might be a better idea to ditch the forklift motor and go with the Lexus "transmission" in @gregski's truck build thread.

A lousy target for conversion will cost you more than buying a car easily suited to electrification. Car's no longer "free" if you have to spend $3k on a gearbox.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no plans of using the auto trans in the car. Should have mentioned that. Pretty sure it wouldn鈥檛 even work. I planned on picking up a manual from a small truck to use.

Super Moderator
"Cheap" builds often end up not cheap.

25 mile round trip at highway speeds is going to need ~7-10kwh of battery.

So, as soon as you say "cheap", look at how much various sources of batteries cost, and then figure, by the time you've bought those, is this still a "cheap" build for you? And, if it's still cheap enough, consider just how cheap you want to go on the rest of the build. Most people would aim for a car that has a consistent level of crappiness across all parts of the build.

Lots of people showing up lately without grounded expectations for budget. You are lucky that you have the fabrication skills to cut a lot of corners, but, there'll still be stuff you have to buy.

Budget? Is this to save money (difficult to pull off)? Or to have an electric car and, it'd be nice to run it cheaper (the friends you made along the way being the real treasure)?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Cheap" builds often end up not cheap.

25 mile round trip at highway speeds is going to need ~7-10kwh of battery.

So, as soon as you say "cheap", look at how much various sources of batteries cost, and then figure, by the time you've bought those, is this still a "cheap" build for you? And, if it's still cheap enough, consider just how cheap you want to go on the rest of the build. Most people would aim for a car that has a consistent level of crappiness across all parts of the build.

Lots of people showing up lately without grounded expectations for budget. You are lucky that you have the fabrication skills to cut a lot of corners, but, there'll still be stuff you have to buy.

Budget? Is this to save money (difficult to pull off)? Or to have an electric car and, it'd be nice to run it cheaper (the friends you made along the way being the real treasure)?
I planned on building more or less a street legal go cart cobbled together with junk yard/craigslist sourced parts. Definitely aiming for crappy. I've been wrenching on and chopping up cars my whole life. Most of them have been insurance salvage auction fodder. Work in electronic manufacturing, visit pick a part pretty regularly.

A Prius Prime battery pack is 8.8kWh/265lbs Looks like they are $700 to $1100 via junk yards.

Is there a common junk yard sourced motor/controller that will work with it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts