DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter the original owner turned on the defrost, came back 20 minutes later to find a dead Leaf. She had the 12 volt battery charged and the car would turn on, shift to neutral, but wouldn't go into Drive or Reverse, no heater, no a/c and trouble lights showed up on the dash and no regular or quick charging.

She had it towed to Nissan and they said they didn't know what was wrong and they could throw a lot of parts at it and it may cost more than the car was worth. So she sold the car.

Owner number two buys the car, brings it to another Nissan who said it needs a new DC to DC junction box and inverter. He has a local ICE car mechanic do the repairs and it still didn't fix it. The parts were from a wrecking yard and unknown is they are good parts. I did pull the original DC to DC junction box apart and all 4 of the HV fuses are good.

I buy it from him and see the following codes.

C118C 0109 ABS EV/HEV System BRC-126
C1A6E 0109 BRAKE EV/HEV System BR-146
C1A70 0109 BRAKE Brake Control System BR-160
The previous codes will always come up if the below faults are displayed.

P3176 00C0 EV/HEV Inverter Condenser EVC-238
P311C EV/HEV High Voltage Sys EVC-204

Note:
(All following systems are disabled due to: P3176
FAIL-SAFE PATTERN
Pattern A: Quick charge prohibited
Pattern B: Normal charge prohibited
Pattern C: READY OFF
Pattern D: High-voltage power supply stop

If DTC P3176 is displayed with DTC ..P311C.. perform diagnosis for DTC ..P311C..)

I have a service manual and while going through the factory service manual, it says to check the high voltage connection at the compressor, ptc heater and some other steps.

With the PTC heater I set my volt meter to 200k Ohms and get a reading of 71.8 which is greater than what the test said. The test said it should be 3 k ohms or more.

I unplugged my 2012 Nissan Leaf and it shows 47.3. I did the test at the same time a few feet away from each other. So 71.8 is more that 3 k ohms right?

I have 4 volt meters and they all seem to be a little different on the readings. Maybe its time for another one. If you reverse the leads, it sometimes doesn't even show a number.

Oh and every hour the contactors and relays at the battery will clickit click click for a second and do that again every hour. I took at the traction battery disconnect plug and that stopped the contactors in the traction battery to stop, but I still hear the relay in the box on the drivers side go on and off. There is nothing plugged into the OBD port by the way.

Thoughts?

I could pull parts off my daily driver and swap them to see if it will help clear the codes.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Last winter the original owner turned on the defrost, came back 20 minutes later to find a dead Leaf. She had the 12 volt battery charged and the car would turn on, shift to neutral, but wouldn't go into Drive or Reverse, no heater, no a/c and trouble lights showed up on the dash and no regular or quick charging.

She had it towed to Nissan and they said they didn't know what was wrong and they could throw a lot of parts at it and it may cost more than the car was worth. So she sold the car.

Owner number two buys the car, brings it to another Nissan who said it needs a new DC to DC junction box and inverter. He has a local ICE car mechanic do the repairs and it still didn't fix it. The parts were from a wrecking yard and unknown is they are good parts. I did pull the original DC to DC junction box apart and all 4 of the HV fuses are good.

I buy it from him and see the following codes.

C118C 0109 ABS EV/HEV System BRC-126
C1A6E 0109 BRAKE EV/HEV System BR-146
C1A70 0109 BRAKE Brake Control System BR-160
The previous codes will always come up if the below faults are displayed.

P3176 00C0 EV/HEV Inverter Condenser EVC-238
P311C EV/HEV High Voltage Sys EVC-204

Note:
(All following systems are disabled due to: P3176
FAIL-SAFE PATTERN
Pattern A: Quick charge prohibited
Pattern B: Normal charge prohibited
Pattern C: READY OFF
Pattern D: High-voltage power supply stop

If DTC P3176 is displayed with DTC ..P311C.. perform diagnosis for DTC ..P311C..)

I have a service manual and while going through the factory service manual, it says to check the high voltage connection at the compressor, ptc heater and some other steps.

With the PTC heater I set my volt meter to 200k Ohms and get a reading of 71.8 which is greater than what the test said. The test said it should be 3 k ohms or more.

I unplugged my 2012 Nissan Leaf and it shows 47.3. I did the test at the same time a few feet away from each other. So 71.8 is more that 3 k ohms right?

I have 4 volt meters and they all seem to be a little different on the readings. Maybe its time for another one. If you reverse the leads, it sometimes doesn't even show a number.

Oh and every hour the contactors and relays at the battery will clickit click click for a second and do that again every hour. I took at the traction battery disconnect plug and that stopped the contactors in the traction battery to stop, but I still hear the relay in the box on the drivers side go on and off. There is nothing plugged into the OBD port by the way.

Thoughts?

I could pull parts off my daily driver and swap them to see if it will help clear the codes.....
Without knowing much about Nissan Leaf 2011 (I drove one for a few days with some issues back in 2013). I would first check if the main battery pack is OK, it might be broken.

Please get help from an skilled Electrician to figure this out as there is some high voltage measuring required :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gunnarhs,
I appreciate your concern on the safety and I understand that there is high voltage and do take the precautionary steps in dealing with it. Telling me to find a qualified electrician or someone knowledgeable of the workings of the Leaf is why I am here at DIYElectric Car forum looking for advice for a DIY'er. Otherwise I would have brought it back to a Nissan dealer and paid out the nose for something someone here may have experienced before. If I don't find someone here, and I find the problem, I will reply with the answer and maybe it will help another DIY'er.

The main battery pack has a precharge resistor that is prone to fail when the PTC heater or the A/C compressor fail. The junction box is deep inside the battery and has a couple of contactors which I can hear them cycling once an hour with the car off. That is not normal behavior. I have 4 Nissan Leafs and this is the only one that does it. Granted two of them are 2013 models.

I have tested the compressor and PTC heater across the High Voltage connections and get more than 3 k ohms. I have a few more steps before I drop the traction battery and open that up.

My neighbor is an experienced professional auto mechanic. Even he is still learning the electric car diagnostics with years of training. He has won many awards and his dealership sends him on contests (just came back from one) around the country where he and other mechanics from different car brands compete. He gets paid the big bucks and still doesn't know how to fix my mess. He said to get on the internet and ask. He didn't bring it to his shop, but is pointing me to here to find the answer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Gunnarhs,
I appreciate your concern on the safety and I understand that there is high voltage and do take the precautionary steps in dealing with it. Telling me to find a qualified electrician or someone knowledgeable of the workings of the Leaf is why I am here at DIYElectric Car forum looking for advice for a DIY'er. Otherwise I would have brought it back to a Nissan dealer and paid out the nose for something someone here may have experienced before. If I don't find someone here, and I find the problem, I will reply with the answer and maybe it will help another DIY'er.

The main battery pack has a precharge resistor that is prone to fail when the PTC heater or the A/C compressor fail. The junction box is deep inside the battery and has a couple of contactors which I can hear them cycling once an hour with the car off. That is not normal behavior. I have 4 Nissan Leafs and this is the only one that does it. Granted two of them are 2013 models.

I have tested the compressor and PTC heater across the High Voltage connections and get more than 3 k ohms. I have a few more steps before I drop the traction battery and open that up.

My neighbor is an experienced professional auto mechanic. Even he is still learning the electric car diagnostics with years of training. He has won many awards and his dealership sends him on contests (just came back from one) around the country where he and other mechanics from different car brands compete. He gets paid the big bucks and still doesn't know how to fix my mess. He said to get on the internet and ask. He didn't bring it to his shop, but is pointing me to here to find the answer.
Ok, let us get to work then... You must excuse my bad english...
My suspicion (might be wrong) is that the fault is in the main battery pack or DC-DC -converter which charges the 12V battery from the main pack. The easiest way to find out is measuring the Voltage on both sides of the DC/DC-converter BEFORE putting out the big battery pack.

1) Before start working put on thick rubber gloves like for gardening.
2) Set your Volt Meter to Highest DC Voltage measurement (600V for the normal ones)
3) Before switching the car on check on the 12V System. Measure the 12V battery before switching on, it should show at least 12.5 V. Then switch the car on and measure the Voltage at the 12V Battery again it should show at least 13V now.
4) With the switch still on measure the Voltage at the other side of the DC/DC converter.
That should be the battery main voltage at at least 300V (preferably more).

Let us start with this and then decide based on the result of 3) and 4) :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can you get any info from leafSpy ?
it could help to know if all cells in the HV pack is OK.

Best regards
/Per Eklund

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
The precharge resistor inside the battery junction box was bad. After replacing that and resetting the codes with LeafSpy pro, it has been functioning and driving normally for weeks.

We tried duplicating all of the scenarios that caused it to fail, and it is still working fine. The Nissan service department ran a diagnostics on it and all checks out with them too.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Update:
The precharge resistor inside the battery junction box was bad. After replacing that and resetting the codes with LeafSpy pro, it has been functioning and driving normally for weeks.

We tried duplicating all of the scenarios that caused it to fail, and it is still working fine. The Nissan service department ran a diagnostics on it and all checks out with them too.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of precharge resistor does it use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The precharge resistor is a ceramic 40 watt 30 ohm power resistor.

The 2011 is mounted underneath the battery junction box. It is the black box on the left near the front of the battery case.

The 2013 is a bit easier and is on top of the battery junction box.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Update:

Thanks for the feedback and nice that everything works now:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts