Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think its how much / how fast can heat be taken from the motor / controller...
That's part of the story but don't forget that you may be prepared to tolerate much higher operating temperatures than Tesla... you don't have a customer warranty to worry about ;)

What we know for sure is the Tesla firmware is actively reducing power as the motor temperatures rise... we also know the open source controller won't do this unless it's what you want. We really need to push a motor until it melts :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hope Sasha is still reading this.

I first came across this project when starting to think about on what car to base my own EV project. I chose Lotus for the same reasons as Sasha and the Evora because it satisfies most of my other requirements. Then I discovered Blue Lightning.

Sasha, you've already done (a couple of years ago) pretty much everything I would need to do. Is there any opportunity to co-operate on another build?

I'm in the UK, but that can't be helped and wouldn't make it impossible, but there's simply so much that I could gain from the purchase of your parts and assistance.

Starting point would be an auto as they have transmission control buttons on the centre console and steering wheel paddles - although the latter wouldn't be required for regen as I'd have that just associated with the accelerator pedal.

My main deviation would be batteries. My car would have to remain standard in the cabin - apart from a Motec screen. So I would need to acquire more compact batteries.

I would also want to maintain assisted brakes and with a decent vacuum reservoir (possibly kept at optimum pressure while charging so always ready to go with no upfront battery drain?) and regenerative braking, the system hopefully wouldn't take too much from the batteries while driving.

Power steering concerns me though as would an electric pump be running all the time? Is there an electric powered rack that could be utilised instead? What about keeping the original rack unpowered and fitting an electric powered column such as from a Vauxhall Corsa C (that's UK model and not sure what it is elsewhere).

Also I would need to install just a Type 2 combo connector as that is now the European standard and should fit under the filler cap cover.

Anyway, just some thoughts. The big question is if you read this and could assist with another project?

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Power steering concerns me though as would an electric pump be running all the time? Is there an electric powered rack that could be utilised instead? What about keeping the original rack unpowered and fitting an electric powered column such as from a Vauxhall Corsa C (that's UK model and not sure what it is elsewhere).
An electrically assisted rack or column is the obvious and most efficient answer, but electrohydraulic works, too. The proper pumps for these systems only run as required. A regular engine-driven pump run all of the time by a motor wouldn't be ideal.

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
Sasha hasn't been around in a long time. I haven't even seen him drive Blue Lightning in over a year.

I don't know but I suspect he sold it, I think that was kind of the goal while building it.

He rarely even replies to comments on his channel.

He's a busy guy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
An electrically assisted rack or column is the obvious and most efficient answer, but electrohydraulic works, too. The proper pumps for these systems only run as required. A regular engine-driven pump run all of the time by a motor wouldn't be ideal.
Yes, one of those pumps would probably be the best solution, especially as the Evora is reputed to have the best power steering of any car, so best to change it as little as possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sasha hasn't been around in a long time. I haven't even seen him drive Blue Lightning in over a year.

I don't know but I suspect he sold it, I think that was kind of the goal while building it.

He rarely even replies to comments on his channel.

He's a busy guy.
Yes he does seem to have gone quiet. I'll just have to keep chasing as he has so many answers for me.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts