DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. here goes. I had a local startup shop build me a 14s 48v Li-NMC battery pack with BMS made out of harvested 2017 Chevy Bolt Cells for my 2016 Club Car Precedent Golf Cart.

I fabricated a custom battery rack/mount for the pack.

My question is the charger. My cart came with lead-acid batteries thus the factory club car ERIC charger is not Lithium compatible.

I have been on golf cart forums, spoke to many shops, vendors, and a few manufacturers, problem is a lot of what I’m doing is “semi” uncharted territory.

From what I gather, once I get a charger I’ll have to install the Chevy bolt battery algorithm in it. My battery guy will be doing that.

Ill need a charger that has USB capability in order to install the algorithm via a thumb drive.

The charge profile will have to cut once the cells reach no more than 58.1volts each.

I’ve looked at the Delta-Q chargers but I’m looking for some direction from anyone who is familiar with my kinda build.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
A few things to point out, and feel free to ignore my criticism. That's a crap BMS from AliExpress. These are typically meant for managing much smaller packs/loads like battery packs for e-bikes, and don't really have the capabilities needed for larger loads of proper EVs. One of the big problems with these is the balancing - you can't just straight charge your pack even if the charger is smart enough to stop charging once the required voltage is reached. You need the charger to be disconnected once ANY of the cells reach their maximum voltage regardless of what the rest of the pack is doing. The only way to achieve that is to have the charger go through the BMS. But if it goes through the BMS, it doesn't need to be super smart - a constant voltage, constant current power supply can be used.

Long story short, if you're on a budget - get Chargery BMS16T and their charger. Will run you about $600 together. If the budget is not an issue, get Zeva BMS and any power supply that can put out say 57.4 volts. Yes, you can use a Delta-Q charger, which can be programmed for these voltages and "profiles", but it's an unnecessary thing to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the chargery BMS16T however it doesn’t seem to be compatible with my battery chemistry,
( LiPo,LiFe and LiTo battery pack),” as my battery is a Li-NMC…

???

·
Registered
30 Posts
LiPo is a form actor means Lithium Polymer. the LG cells used in Bolt batteries are Lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide in a LiPo format. The Chargery BMS16T will work for the cells. LIPo as used in so many places Has become to mean any Li cell with a nominal voltage of 3.6-3.8V max voltage of 4.2v-4.35v
later floyd

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
LiPo is a form actor means Lithium Polymer. the LG cells used in Bolt batteries are Lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide in a LiPo format.
Close... Li-Po does mean lithium polymer, but it describes the electrolyte (a polymer instead of the usual liquid) rather than a form factor. The LG cells used in Bolt batteries are lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide (that's the electrode chemistry), but they are not Li-Po construction.

LIPo as used in so many places Has become to mean any Li cell with a nominal voltage of 3.6-3.8V max voltage of 4.2v-4.35v
That's likely, but it makes no sense. Yes, any common lithium-ion battery chemistry other than LiFePO4 is in that voltage range, and compatibility with that voltage range is probably what some idiot at Chargery meant by the "LiPo" reference... given the other nonsense in the Chargery web page.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's likely, but it makes no sense. Yes, any common lithium-ion battery chemistry other than LiFePO4 is in that voltage range, and compatibility with that voltage range is probably what some idiot at Chargery meant by the "LiPo" reference... given the other nonsense in the Chargery web page.
I suspect it has a lot to do with the RC and e-bike markets, where LiPo and LFP batteries were dominant. A lot of these companies later expanded to make general purpose EV components, but kept their lingo. On the charger in question picking LiPo just picks a voltage template suitable for NMC, NCA and other similar cells. There is still fine adjustment available if one doesn't want to charge above certain voltage per cell.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
View attachment 123207
What construction format is this? So I can call the cells with the correct name.
Later floyd
Sorry for the delay...
Those are pouch cells (which is the shape and container format).

You can't tell from the photo, but like other LG Chem cells, and almost all cells used in EVs, the electrolyte is a lithium salt in an organic solvent (not a polymer). There's no cute name (comparable to "Li-po") for this conventional type, because it is not needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts