DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Nissan Titan crew cab 4x4with 6” lift and 37” tires. And it has the 400 hp 5.6 gas engine. I’m want to add a probably a warp 11 motor after the tcase and shorten the drive shaft to rear axle . And add a small amount of lithium batteries to help with fuel around town , mostly under 45mph. And when I want to give some real off the line and acceleration help, just for fun. Does this sound reasonable.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Not sure how you plan on doing that but with a brushed DC motor you can't just spin the motor as you drive along

The Brush/Commutator interface is a weird and wonderful thing - if you just drive the motor with you petrol engine without any current going through the brushes it will destroy the "film" on the commutator and then wear the commutator out

You will need to be able to unclutch the DC motor so that it is not spinning

This (of course) does not apply to brushless "AC" motors

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Two basic types of AC motors are used in EVs: synchronous permanent magnet motors, and asynchronous induction motors. An induction motor has an advantage in an application where it always turns but is usually just spinning idly (not motoring or generating): it spins freely without "cogging".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts