DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
They are already being built - they're called Neighborhood Electric Vehicles and golf carts. As batteries improve, both will benefit and NEVs will "merge" with EVs.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
They are already being built - they're called Neighborhood Electric Vehicles and golf carts. As batteries improve, both will benefit and NEVs will "merge" with EVs.
I don't think that was what was intended. And it makes no more sense to me for NEVs to "merge" with regular highway-capable EVs than it does for gas-engined low-speed vehicles (again, including golf carts) to merge with regular highway-capable engine-driven cars.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I don't think that was what was intended.
I know, but really an NEV is already an Electric Vehicle - just a bit slower, and doesn't meet highway standards. Point was that price now is all about the battery, which is dropping by 50% about every 6-7 years.

And it makes no more sense to me for NEVs to "merge" with regular highway-capable EVs than it does for gas-engined low-speed vehicles (again, including golf carts) to merge with regular highway-capable engine-driven cars.

That's kind of a nit, poTAYtoe or pahTAHtoe? :D

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I know, but really an NEV is already an Electric Vehicle - just a bit slower, and doesn't meet highway standards. Point was that price now is all about the battery, which is dropping by 50% about every 6-7 years.
While I agree that battery cost is the biggest factor, everything about a NEV is cheap compared to a high-speed vehicle, literally from the tires to the roof, door to door, and bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
While I agree that battery cost is the biggest factor, everything about a NEV is cheap compared to a high-speed vehicle, literally from the tires to the roof, door to door, and bumper to bumper.

True - but the original question was why aren't there any $25k cars. An NEV is a street legal car - just not one which satisfies you... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts