DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a weinman ac 3 phase 15 HP work for a conversion? (using about 3000 lb vehicle)
Volts 208-230/460 DUTY: CONT rpm 3485 hz 60 fl amp 41.9-36.9/18.45 alternate tasting 46.0/23.0 amps max at 190/380 v

If so special mods? what would a possible approximate top speed be?

Thanks for any tips!!

Adam

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I am in hilly terrain! I did read the other forum, but I guess I am not knowledgeable enough yet to know the differences between my motor and his, Due to the difference in 5 hp and also the significant difference in RPM. But your answer really helps clarify things. Thank you!

On another note, i have access to two of these motors, could i use them both...one per Axel? one per wheel on the front or rear Axel like Tesla? This should right double the torque or driving force if my ev right?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks aeroscott. My two motors are approx 3800 rpms. If i didn't have them rewound, would my vehicle performance be seriously lacking (only 15hp each)? Top speed? Or am i looking at overheating and other complications? I have a 2004 Volvo already, i also have access to two 15hp 3 phase ac motors ( details listed here...http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forum...15-hp-ac-motor-75147.html?p=306098#post306098) ...preferably, i would just use the motors as is, unless they wouldn't perform well enough. I drive about 15 miles each way on hilly terrain every day.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Miz! So basically, you think a "properly reworked" 15 hp motor might work for my needs...a single motor at that? That is, if i drop the voltage into the ranges specified etc?

I have one electric motor shop in town...he doesn't think motors can be rewound...but if it will work fine, what does properly reworked look like...i mean...what exactly do i need to tell him to do? (please reassure me that you think this would work fine with a good controller to drive my vehicle with sufficient power in hilly terrain, if you think in fact it will)

:) Thanks!

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow... thank you all for the information! It is extremely helpful as i try to learn more (if it isn't obvious, i am a noob and not an engineer...just a techy who has worked on cars and enjoys it)! Paul, nice finds...anyone of the above you recommend over the others for reasons unknown to me yet...with my little experience? :)

Edit: after looking at them, it looks like the premium is super heavy. Could someone explain what i need to look for in the way of hertz?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol...to your last comment. ...Thanks fir explaining hertz. So when I'm looking for a motor, i think (ac or dc) 30-50 hp range. correct? (just generically speaking)

But is there anything in particular to look for in the hz rating marked on the motor? Anything that you would say is good? Or does it not matter?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Paul, Miz, subcooled! I appreciate you all taking the time to help provide input. I'm learning a lot already. Really, trying to gain a basic understanding now of what to look for in a motor so i can effectively knew what will work as i search around locally. Might go the DC route first...don't know. Have a donar vehicle already, so I'll start looking for a motor locally soon.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.